News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 5302W in Color?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, September 03, 2017, 06:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I just won this on ebay for $20--it appears to be a color 5251 or 5302W (5302 without Bell markings) that was painted. This one looks like it was so well painted that I can't quite tell what color it is underneath; either White, Beige, or Pink. If you look closely around the edges of the mousehole, as well as the edge of the lift. This set also has transparent plungers.

A true Bell repaint would clearly show the original color on the bottom of the housing, but this was most likely done by the independent telco that owned it.

It's going to take some interesting techniques to restore it, assuming it is in fact painted. Making new parts and sourcing matching paint (if it's not White) alone will be tough enough, but it sounds like a fun project! If it isn't painted, at least the Kellogg gumdrop handset could be worth something!

I honestly don't know how I spotted this one!

www.ebay.com/itm/401395174671
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

In case anyone is interested, it should be in my hands tomorrow.

The more I look at it, the more I'm sure it's painted. We'll see tomorrow!
Christian Petterson

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 06, 2017, 07:17:03 PM
The more I look at it, the more I'm sure it's painted. We'll see tomorrow!

The suspense is killing me.

Larry

Pourme

Inquiring minds want to know!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 06, 2017, 07:57:39 PM
The suspense is killing me.

Larry
Imagine how it feels for me! ;D

It's out for delivery now. I'll try to get it open and have pictures posted as soon as it shows up!
Christian Petterson

Pourme

Don't ya just love USPS/UPS notifications?....
Benny

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, false alarm, guys...it looks like the 'color' peeking through was really dirt buildup in those areas. The 'clear' plungers are black, but have a lot of rubbing on the sides, appearing clear in the pictures. :(

I'm disappointed, but it's a lesson learned on jumping the gun. I figure I can really clean this up, sell the gumdrop handset separately, and either sell the rest of the phone or keep it. I have plenty of spare F1W handsets to use up, so it should look correct in the end.

On the bright side, this is one less paint removal project for me, and I bet I can make my money back on selling the handset alone! :)
Christian Petterson

Pourme

Benny

andre_janew

I'm curious to know what is inside that Kellogg handset.  Is the receiver a U1 from Western Electric?  Is the transmitter a T1 from Western Electric?