News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another 464 passed on to me.....

Started by Babybearjs, September 08, 2017, 09:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

Just bought ANOTHER 464G 5 line phone. this time from Leon in S. Calif. (El Cajun). just needs a good cleaning, dial center, and a modular cord set. its funny how many of these thing pop up from time to time....  I'm still looking for a 444 phone... have the shell.... just need the switching assembly.....(P/N: 591)
John

Victor Laszlo

"A modular cord set" ...on a 464? How does that work?

david@london

babybearjs -

not sure what a 464g 5 line is ....... could you elucidate pls? congrats on it anyway - photos would be nice.

cheers, david.

Victor Laszlo

Quote from: david@london on September 09, 2017, 08:22:03 PM
not sure what a 464g 5 line is ....... could you elucidate pls? congrats on it anyway - photos would be nice.

Are you familiar with the paul-f website? It is the definitive photo and basic descriptive source.

Here is the section that will elucidate:

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#Keysets

Are you familiar with the TCI library of BSP's? or how to search for a BSP using Google?

Here is the one (502-435-100) that shows all of the variants of the 44x and 46x tel sets.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/component/docman/doc_details/2805-502-435-100-i1-telephone-sets-440-460-tl?Itemid=2

TelePlay

Quote from: Babybearjs on September 08, 2017, 09:23:50 PM
Just bought ANOTHER 464G 5 line phone. this time from Leon in S. Calif. (El Cajun). just needs a good cleaning, dial center, and a modular cord set.

Might be he meant "a module cord handset" which would be a typo of omission - which could apply to the coiled cord and/or handset itself.

Babybearjs

thank you victor for the links.... that will help those who don't know about these older phones... and... I always upgrade the line cord to a modular set. the amphenol cords are too big and clumsy.... the RJ 45 cords work best and have just enough wires to get the phone working...
John

oldguy

I have some WE 440EC-3, but you probably want clear buttons & lights. I have an extra you can have for shipping cost.
Gary

Babybearjs

I've already got a 440. its a 4 line P/U only and I added a headset to it for testing purposes....
John

Victor Laszlo

Quote...the RJ 45 cords work best and have just enough wires to get the phone working...

Well, I don't see how 8 conductors will allow the historically-accurate operation of a 5-line tel set. You need, at a minimum, three conductors per PU, using 1A, and 1 ground + 5 conductors per PU using 1A1/2, assuming line lamps. The joy of collecting and restoring these tel sets, IMHO, is to get them working in a prototypical way. Using what you like to call "RJ45 cords" (not a real thing, BTW) as a substitute for the original line cord sort of dilutes the purity of the original engineering elegance, and the intention of this forum, n'est-ce-pas?

digoxy118

Guys, I would really like to find one of these to play with if someone has one they want to sell. I have been watching for them on eBay without much luck.

poplar1

Quote from: digoxy118 on September 13, 2017, 12:03:29 PM
Guys, I would really like to find one of these to play with if someone has one they want to sell. I have been watching for them on eBay without much luck.

Be sure to get on of the later (1953-1954) models 444 or 464 with  "E/G" stamped in red above the model number and date. These have the correct switch hook and correct selector for use with 1A2 (or 1A1 or 1A). The earlier models are compatible only with 1A Key.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

take the 4 pair cable and multiply by 3. my 444's and 544's have 2 cables, and my 464's and 564-65's have 3 to 4 cables on them....all tye wrapped and about 12 ft long.....
John