News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

CRPF Award for "Worst Picture of an eBay auction item"

Started by AE_Collector, December 06, 2010, 01:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

It's clear what the author of # 11 was doing when he wrote that description.
Dave

Greg G.

This one looks like the background for the Looney Tunes logo:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: phone-sweep on December 06, 2012, 12:38:05 PM
Another fan of Time Tunnel.....

Reminds me - I used to collect wacky descriptions from phone auctions.  I've still got them.  These were copied and pasted from actual eBay auctions, parenthesis = my comments:

1.  "I don't know anything about this so feel free to e-mail any questions....."

2.  "I AM NOT A PHONE MAN SO YOU WILL HAVE TO EMAIL WITH YOUR QUESTIONS."

3.   "THE PHONE WAS WORKING, WHEN SHE TOOK IT DOWN OFF THE WALL, BUT I DON'T IT TO BE TRUE OR NOT. I DON'T KNOW ANY THING ABOUT ANTIQUE'S, OR WHAT IS REAL. OR WHAT  ISN'T ...."

4.  "This auction is for a collectible GOTH BLACK monophone Dial telephone with old style jack and black cord.
I'm afraid to test this phone because I worry Marylin M.(anson) is on the other end looking to come over for a beer."

5.  "Makes that nice solid "chunking" sound when dialed."

6.  "Look at the base plate to this telephone. It too is in near mint condition ....... It bears virtually no signs of its history, though some are present."

7.  ".....the cord in in good condition the base is the lie i said and the cradle is in good condition...."

8.  "The color is dark black."

9.  "You are bidding on an old Western Electric telephone, that I believe is from the 1930's. The dial has a Z in the operator hole, on the dial, which indicates it is from the thirties."

10.  "This vintage phone has tough tone dialing,...."

11.  (Title) "SOUTHWESTERN BELL FREEDOM PHONE WITH NORM & HIGH VALIUM"

12.  "Most collectors agree that normal wear adds to the uniqueness and value of each phone." 

13.  ......(telephone is)  MINT!......There is one scuff on the lower left side of the base at the ear that can be polished out .....

14.   (One phone is a SC) and the other is an Automatic Electric Monophone (?) possibly an AE40. Both pieces have cracks or breaks to the bakelite body and otherwise appear to be complete. BECAUSE THIS SAXAPHONE NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED I AM SELLING IT AS IS AND WILL NOT TAKE RETURNS ON THIS ITEM.

These are hilarious!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Very Good Barry! I am sure that we can all add a few more here in this discussion. Not quite sure how we got to AECo Saxophones in your item #14 but hey, as long as it is phone related of some sort. CG Conn was always a respected manufacturer of Saxophones but i have never seen one by AECo. Now where are my saxophones, haven't palyed them for awhile now....

Terry

LarryInMichigan

You don't have to be selling a phone to post a hilarious listing.  A year or two ago, I was looking at the furniture section of the local craigslist when I noticed a listing for used childrens' room furniture in "naughty pine".  It sure made me wonder what the children had been up to :D

One of my favorite phone descriptions is still "wind-up telephone".  I always wonder just how much winding a half-hour phone call would require.

Larry

Just4Phones

My favorite was "phone does not work but it did once"

LOL I once saw a phone on EBAY and was not sure who manufactured it so I asked the seller "does the phone have a manufacturers name on the bottom?" and she responded "yes"

AE_Collector

And the notion that a phone without a dial is an "Extension Phone" as the seller has no idea that there was a time when no phones had dials.

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: Just4Phones on December 06, 2012, 09:47:14 PMI once saw a phone on EBAY and was not sure who manufactured it so I asked the seller "does the phone have a manufacturers name on the bottom?" and she responded "yes"

I've had that before, so I carefully word questions of suck ilk like so:

"Hi, I'm interested in this [item name], but just want to know if [info required] is on the base, and if so what does it say?"

Doesn't always work though... :D

jsowers

Quote from: phone-sweep on December 06, 2012, 12:38:05 PM
Reminds me - I used to collect wacky descriptions from phone auctions.  I've still got them.  These were copied and pasted from actual eBay auctions, parenthesis = my comments:

Here's one I'm surprised eBay didn't remove. Maybe nobody has caught it yet? The auction is still up. Look at the last line. The seller meant to type "Free Shirt Club" but he didn't. The item number is 110938158317 if anyone wants to see the entire auction. It's for a $99 New Jersey phone directory. Wish I had one of those cards.  ;D
Jonathan

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Greg G.

- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

They probably dont "Give Shirts" anymore. Anyone remember the Radio Shack "Battery of the Month" card?

Terry

TelePlay

Didn't pay much for it so didn't expect much.

But, when it arrived, I had to go back to check the original listing photos to see what a great job the seller did in smearing his lens with vaseline to hide the true state of the transmitter after taking the face picture.

I guess you could call these before and after shipping photos. No complaints, just thought this would be a good example of why not to buy out of focus items on eBay, unless you don't care, as was the case here with me.

An good digital camera with macro capability can be purchased for less than $50 these days. The blue background photos were taken with one.

Babybearjs

just remember, those bad pics sometimes work out in a bidders favor... if they know what it is, and what it could be worth... bad pictures sometimes ward off bidders... then you get the item at a great price... worked for me....
John

twocvbloke

Either this is from another dimension, or the seller forgot to flip the image... :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321052082263 ( dead link 02-15-21 )