News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dropped 500

Started by Netdewt, January 19, 2012, 12:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netdewt

My 500 got tipped off it's stool onto a concrete floor  :-[ and doesn't work anymore. The plastic survived though. I don't even know where to start. Any ideas?

rtp129495

How did it fall? do you have pictures? how high was the stool? what part of the 500 hit the ground first?

these phones are pretty durable, id almost think it was a loose wire or something simple. but I think more details are needed... pictures are usually the best way to determine things. Have you taken it apart yet?

Adam

My first guess would be that the switch hook arm got stuck into a position not natural for it, not allowing it to release normally when you lift the receiver.

Simply removing the phone's cover and replacing it, allowing the switch hook arm to realign properly, might fix the problem.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Netdewt

I haven't dug very deep. I have so many projects going on I thought I'd see if you guys could direct me first. It seems unharmed from the outside. It took about a 3 foot fall, although it fell over with the stool, so that lessened the impact. As the stool fell over, the phone rotated with the top of the stool, so if I were to guess the left side of the phone hit first.

I have been meaning to post here for a while, this happened about a month ago.

rtp129495

Does the hookswitch feel the same as it always did? I think the switchhook getting stuck could be it if it looks undamaged on the outside. Unless the wire connecting it to the wall had a wire break inside getting pulled quick when it fell. that can happen.

Adam

Quote from: rtp129495 on January 19, 2012, 01:15:27 PM
Unless the wire connecting it to the wall had a wire break inside getting pulled quick when it fell.

Yes, that's also a good guess!
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Netdewt

Hey all,

Thanks for the ideas. I was pessimistic about the phone because I was upset about dropping it I think. I removed the wall cord, replaced with a new one. Good as new.

Adam

Like John Cameron Swayze used to say in the old Timex commercials:

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

rtp129495

Yeap those wires are really small and can break easy in line cords. Had it happen to me many times. not just with phones. Glad you got it working. Yes WE 500 etc... does take a licking and keep on ticking. I just hope in 100 years someone is still keeping them around!!!