News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 12/1951 model 500 arrives

Started by McHeath, October 22, 2008, 12:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Well it's here, the 51' model 500 I won on e-bay for $15.50 and here is the rundown based on a Clint Eastwood movie formula.  (Pictures to follow when I get a chance)

THE GOOD:

Ringer is original C2A model.  Network is 425A and original.  Dial is 7A and original.  Shell is 12/51 and original.  Has the odd little handset cord extra board.  Feet look to be original, chassis is basically all "stock" as they say in about cars.  It also works, the dial moves cleanly, the fingerwheel is in good shape, and the sound quality is good.  Overall condition is good, decent finish on all parts, handset cord in good shape, feet decent, and it should clean up nicely.  Still has a very old phone number card, area code 615.

THE BAD:

Handset is NOT a G1 but is a G3 dated 1965.  Transmitter is 1962 and receiver 1964 with the caps from 61' and 65'.  The handset cord itself is from 65'.  Also, the line cord is probably from about the same era, it's gray and has the old Bell symbol logo on its four prong plug.  (there are no refurb dates stamped on anything)

THE UGLY:

It was damaged in shipping!!  Arggg!  The shipper tried to pack it pretty well, but it was too close to the top of the box and looks like it was slammed into something.  The dial face was broken, two pieces cracked off and a good size spilt loose.  Then the housing itself seems to have been forced down bending the switchhooks downward and to the left, as you face the phone.  Luckily the shell was not damaged.  I think the broken parts can be glued back together and it will not be noticeable, too much.

Overall I'm pretty happy for my investment.  Not sure how much to clean it up, do I go for the uber clean look where it is showroom new or a modest polish to make it look presentable?  Thoughts?

BDM

Good grief! Can you post some pics? I may be able to help with a G1 handset 6 hole, but I'll need time to hunt down one of my early phones. It may have a G1, it may not?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Won't be able to do any pics till tomorrow evening.  Yeh the G3 handset was unfortunate, I love the old bakelite G1s.

McHeath

Photos Phollow:

General overlook

McHeath

Dial damage

McHeath

Inner parts with dial damage visible.

McHeath

Bottom, line cord which has old Bell logo, and overview again.

Dennis Markham

That's a nice looking phone despite the damage and the updated plastic.  Was the cover left undamaged?  I have a few of those dial rings for that vintage if you'd like me to send you one.  I may even have a spare G1 laying around.  No guarantee on condition but I know I have one if you're interested.  That line cord looks like a much later addition.  A phone of that vintage would have had a 283B 4 prong plug, not the 505A that is on there now.  Also, it looks like the black ringer wire is attached for party line ringing.  If you move it from "G" to "L1" it will ring.  See this link:

http://www.porticus.org/bell/images/500ringerrewiring.jpg

Dennis

BDM

That's a shame :( Anyhow, I also may be able to help. I'll look for my parts set this weekend. My phone collection was scattered to the four winds 10 years ago. I'm still digging stuff out of the woodwork the last month or so.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Gee thanks for the help in finding parts.  I'd like to put it back to as close as I can get to original, so I'm certainly interested in a G1 handset and correct cord.  Would that phone have had a straight cord?  And a replacement dial face would be good as well instead of glue I suppose.  I guessed that something was up with the ringer as it won't ring, but I've never met a broken ringer.  Email me some prices you want for the parts.

BDM

No, the handset cord could have been a rubber coil. I prefer the old thick coil cords when I can find them.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Does anyone make those really thick coil cords?

On the shipping damage the phone had lots of bubble wrap on the sides and bottom and really none on the top.  The top flaps of the box have dents in them on the inside where the handset mount horns impacted the box, probably someone tossed it.  Luckily the shell was not damaged, though as I noted it did bend the switch hook metal dowwards.  I should start talking to sellers about how to ship phones as well.  Oh and the handset was off the hook, so that was good.

Yes this forum is really cool to get to see various phones and their refurbbing.  I hope to be able to make this one pretty nice.

BDM

I've tried to find large thick rubber coil cords. To no avail :P So, I try and pick them up when I can from junk phones.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

I have had phones from as late as 1955 with a straight handset cord that had matching strain relief crimp dates.  So I think as with many of the topics we have discussed...anything is possible. 

The vinyl cords that Odis was selling were the thicker coiled cords.  I just got some 3 conductor cords yesterday for a 302 that came from Odis.  I think they were on the last flight out of San Angelo.  You should probably check with Oldphoneworks and see if they have the same cords.  I think they bought his stock.

As far as giving people tips on how to pack the phone,  I always ask them not to ship the phone with the handset on the phone.  They will become broken when shipped in that manner.  Or if the handset is free floating it will be pushed into the side of the phone and broken.  I have received many phones damaged beyond repair from poor shipping.  The sellers will say to buy insurance, but what good is that?  Once it's broken, it's broken.  Rarely will a phone get broken if it is shipped properly.  Nothing should move inside the box.  If when the box is shaken and things move, there's a good chance it will be broken.  I have also had some arrive with just a plastic grocery bag wrapped around them with a piece of newspaper and there was no damage---but that was just dumb luck.

McHeath

Will a 3 conductor handset cord work?  How would you wire that?