News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 11 - WE 212 hanging handset NIB

Started by bingster, November 12, 2008, 03:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Our next contest is for an ever-popular Western Electric hanging handset.   First introduced with a C body and an E handset, it later was replaced by the G body, which used both the F and G handsets.  This particular phone is equipped with the later G handset, and is apparently brand new in the box.

These normally go for a good price, but there are a couple things about it might make it interesting:  1) it's rather new, which might keep the price down, and 2) it's new in the box, which might keep the price UP.  Those variables make it a perfect choice for our little contest.

So what will this one bring?  Get your guess in before the auction's final day, and let us know!

S C O R E B O A R D
$70 - HobieSport (-55.49)
$74.98 - McHeath (-50.51)
$85.50 - mienaichizu (-39.99)
$95.68 - Bill Cahill (-29.81)
$125 - bingster (-49¢)
Sold for $125.49
$130 - Dan² (Over)
$152 - Dennis Markham (Over)
$175 - benhutcherson (Over)
$211 - Dan/Panther (Over)
$250 - JimH (Over)
$399 - Mark Stevens (Over)

= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JimH

I'll say $250.  Why in the world of Trimlines in 1975 would western stillmake a phone like this?  It even required a subset!
Jim H.

bingster

Quote from: HobieSport on November 12, 2008, 02:29:52 PMI am very naive about the WE 212 and a had stupidly assumed that they were phased out in the 1950's. Do they have a ringer?Are they still called a "Spacesaver"?

Not at all stupid, Hobie.  I didn't realize they made these so late, myself.  They don't have a ringer or network (they're too small), so they needed a subset as Jim mentioned.  After the late 1950s, that would have been the 685A subset.

"Spacesaver" is actually the name Automatic Electric used for their version of this type of phone.  Western Electric originally called this a "hanging handset," but after the 1940s or so it was just called a "hand telephone set."  Which is a bit silly because that's how they described the desk phones, too.

I really don't know where to go with this one... I'm going to say $125.
= DARRIN =

benhutcherson

Put me down for $175.

I'd be really interested to see what the dial date on this one is. I certainly wouldn't have guessed that they would have still been making the #6 dial this late, so I wonder if the dial date matches the dates elsewhere on the phone.

Mark Stevens

Dennis Markham

I'll go $152.  I always love it when the "rules" of the listing are longer than the description of the item.  I don't generally bid on items where the seller has too many rules.....I don't answer questions with less than 24 hours left, I void bids with those that have less than 10 feedback, I only ship on Wednesdays and every other Thursday, you must buy insurance, if you don't respond with 48 hours I leave negative feedback...yada yada yada......

There's my Andy Rooney impression for the day.

Perry

The photos are not exactly huge, but it does look odd from the side view. Could those be fingerprints or bad paint on the body of the phone? The dial doesn't really look shiny and new, either. Would a "refurb" be put in a box like that?

McHeath

Wonder if this was really made in the mid 70's or if it's a refurb?  As was noted why would WE bother with this unit when the Trimline was around?  I'm going to guess $74.98.

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Bill Cahill

Sure looks like a refurb to me. Look at the handset, even.
That looks like wear where it would normally rest on a cradle on a desktop phone. Also, the side of the case doesn't look too shiny, either.
I'd call it a used refurb.
My price,
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HobieSport

I'm going low on this one, at $70.
-Matt (Hobie)

bingster

The auction is over and the winner of this week's contest is... drum roll, please...

Me!

Congratulations, bingster.  You're a prince of a guy. ;D

Stay tuned for our next auction, to be posted shortly.
= DARRIN =