News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The 500U that got away.

Started by contraste, April 22, 2009, 02:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

contraste

I was watching this one, listed in the pre 1940 section only yesterday I think. Someone must have persuaded the seller to put up a Buy It Now price and snaffled it up.

http://tiny.cc/ZcAVV (dead link 7/30/23 - no images provided/available with original posts)

Did they get a bargain? It looks nice to me and seems like a steal compared to some other 500U sales on ebay but I'm a newbie so maybe not.

I'm guessing the black models bring less money.

Lee 

Dan

Are the "U" models the ones that light when you pick up the receiver, while the P/U models the ones with the nightlight feature and the ability to brighten up when you pick up the handset? I  just wanted to know the difference. The G1 handset and six hole earpiece probably confirm originality.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

contraste

paul-f.com says:

500U
Single line w/ hooded dial lamp (GE46 bulb, 6-8v ac or dc supply, P17A120 lamp cap assembly.  425B network (or later 425E). Similar to the 500P with the addition of a night light switch (584A key).

When switched on, the night light glows dimly when handset is on hook and a full brilliance when off hook.

500P
Single line w/ hooded dial lamp (GE46 bulb, 6-8v ac or dc supply, P17A120 lamp cap assembly, 425B network (or later 425E).  The light is only activated when the handset is offhook. 

Replaced the 500H to overcome limitations of that set.  Compatible with all services supported by the 500D.
(Available in 1955, MD 1976)

McHeath

I'd a given them 125 for it.  I keep dreaming that I will stumble across the yard of the century where they have one of these in pink or aqua for 5 bucks. 

contraste

I was thinking about $140-50.

Just a few short months ago, I'd never even heard of that model.

AET

I looked at this phone, I would have snapped it up if I had the money, even though I'm getting a bit bored with black phones, I have 6 or 7 of them now.  Sorry Hobie!
- Tom