News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do you determine the type of semi-postpay operation on AE payphone?

Started by RotoTech99, April 01, 2015, 08:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

On my AE LPB-86-55, how would I determine the number of coins to be deposited to engage the dial and talk circuits?  As best I am guessing, it takes two nickels, but I don't really know..

Advice and instruction appreciated.

I've also noticed a blue strap from Terminal 1 on the upper case terminal strip to Terminal 6, what is it for

poplar1

Since modern lines no longer reverse polarity when your called party answers,  semi-postpay  no longer require the use of coins.

Originally, the LPB-8655 required you to deposit 10 cents--either one dime or two nickels--when the called party answered (and the line reversed), in order to remove the short on the transmitter and the shunt on the receiver so that you could hear and talk. No coins were needed to draw dial tone or to dial a number, but only when the called party answered. The polarity did not reverse when calling the operator, so you could talk to operator without paying.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotoTech99

Ok, I have noticed a blue jumper strap from terminal 1 on the upper case term. strip to terminal 6 on that strip... What is that for?

It doesn't appear on the schematics for the LPB-8655.. Does it block the dial, converting the payphone to a "dial-less" mode payphone?

What can you tell me on the jumper strap?

thanks,
RotoTech99