News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Are the early two tones really THIS VALUABLE?

Started by Dan, February 08, 2009, 10:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I emailed him if he had the original wall cord. He said it was cut off two feet from the phone and he threw it away ::)

I guess the last guy bid through the roof til he hit the reserve.

I  for one prefer the soft all red ones with  grey cords.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220354672706&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

(www.ebay.com/itm/220354672706) EDIT: Link dead 1-26-18
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

BDM

For that, I'll make my own. Date matching or not.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

benhutcherson

I agree-it'd be far too easy to make my own.

We know that there are legitimate ones out there, but I'd certainly be very hesitant to pay this much for one without knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt. Specifically, I'd want to see it in person and confirm that the date on the shell matched the date on the base before spending that much cash.

Perry

Is it just me, or does anyone else cringe a bit to see a nice phone displayed on what seems to be a coarse stone surface?
:-\

BDM

Quote from: benhutcherson on February 08, 2009, 10:38:41 PM
I agree-it'd be far too easy to make my own.

We know that there are legitimate ones out there, but I'd certainly be very hesitant to pay this much for one without knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt. Specifically, I'd want to see it in person and confirm that the date on the shell matched the date on the base before spending that much cash.

Exactly, and I'm in no way saying that's what happened here. But, how do you prove it's original??? Ya gotta take it on faith I guess. But not on my wallet.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Wow.  400 smackers.  Ouch.
Perry; I didn't notice the stone display surface.  I just think the phone itself is butt-ugly.  But that's just me...

Perry

I think the two-tone phones are weird-looking, too, but I know some people like them.

Dennis Markham

They gray straight handset cord added to the value of that phone.  The seller said "IT IS AN ORIGINAL WESTERN ELECTRIC DESK PHONE....LOOKS LIKE NEW!!"  He does not say that it is an original two-tone phone.  For sure it is Original Western Electric....but does that mean it came down the assembly line as a two-tone.  No one will ever know.  That buyer has very deep pockets and buys up many of the very rare phones.  There's no bidding war...he just waits until the end and puts in a large number...say $500 and when the dust settles he's on top.

I'm familiar with the seller of that "two-tone" phone.  I'm skeptical that it was born a two-tone.

The early ones had black dial faces and black G1 handsets.  Some were later produced with matching handsets and either matching straight cords or the neutral gray cords.  If that had a red straight cord it would have gone higher.  I was surprised it went that high.

I have only two of those.  I bought one from a collector (black and ivory) that is respected.  He said it was original so it is.  The other I bought off ebay after asking a lot of questions.  The seller was not a phone person so I'm sure it was a natural two tone.  In both cases the handset cords were replaced.  I've posted this link before but if you're interested in seeing them here it is again.

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/?p=50

bingster

Early two-tones can indeed be this valuable.  They're very rare.  The consensus on the TCI listserve was that this could very well be original.  Apparently the red handsets were available before the red dials were, and some came equipped with red handset/black dial.  But I agree, a phone that important should have had photos taken of every date.
= DARRIN =

benhutcherson

The straight gray handset cord definitely makes this look legitimate, as there certainly aren't very many of those around.

Once again, though, I'd want to be darn sure that it was truly a two-tone set before spending that kind of money on it. Unless the case was dated close to the base, I'd pass, or at least pay significantly less.

Bill Cahill

Personally, I think it's ugly. I don't like mis-match phones, and, you are not going to prove that is original. If he is that big a dealer, I'm sure he has a large arrqy of parts.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dennis Markham

I don't think it's ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Whether or not it is original, if the parts line up it can be argued that it is.  I wouldn't mind it sitting on my shelf.  But I have a red one from 1955 with straight gray handset cord AND a matching gray line cord.  Maybe I should put a black dial plate on it and see if I can't get $400 or more for it.  No........I think I'll keep it.

Bill Cahill

Dennis Markham