News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

4-prong outlets

Started by Firefyter-Emt, February 24, 2009, 11:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefyter-Emt

Hey guys, I bought this flush mount wall outlet on e-bay for about $10.00 the other day and thought I would share it with you all.  I had picked up a nice WE-500 with a nice Bakelite plug on the end.  I had bought a NOS wall mount block and the design was terrible, and there was nothing to lock the wire in place. 

Anyway, I then found this e-bay seller who sold the same style block, but a better design with a locking back plate. This one, however, also came with a metal plate and outlet cover to convert it to a flush wall mount.  The "only" thing I did end up doing was to file the plastic wall box down a hair to allow the phone bracket to sit lower in the outlet box. This way the outer wall bezel fit better. The outlet sat a bit high in the box and the cover bowed if tightened to touch the wall. If you use a plastic box that is installed in the wall after the wall is in place, this is very simple to do.

Anyway, for the money and how nice it looks in the wall, I thought I would write a quick review.  My office wall is being worked on, and the drywall is not up yet, but I can add a photo of one mounted later.

Here is the sellers photo and a link.  He has eight more for sale now, and might be able to get more, I am not sure.  I have no affiliation, I just like well made stuff and even with the slight mod in the wall box, it is very well made and makes the old school outlet port look so nice when plugged into the wall.  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370129027817#ebayphotohosting

BDM

I much prefer the four prong connectors over the modular. But, what I do instead, is use several 4 prong to modular adapters. That way I can use whatever I choose.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Firefyter-Emt

I have two modular plugs for those already in the wall. I had looked at the adapters, but like the flush wall plate much better.  If I need to plug in a standard phone, I can plug it in where it belongs.

benhutcherson

That's the first time I've ever seen that particular style of flush plate.

I've seen the ones that are round and sunken in slightly, but never this style.

I think maybe I should invest in one. I have a 500 set on my seldom-used desk that has a nice matching green line cord and four-prong plug. I'm using a modular adapter at the moment, but plugging it directly into the wall would be nice.

BDM

Quote from: Firefyter-Emt on February 24, 2009, 11:50:07 AM
I have two modular plugs for those already in the wall. I had looked at the adapters, but like the flush wall plate much better.  If I need to plug in a standard phone, I can plug it in where it belongs.

I have a few 4 prong flush, and otherwise, type plates. BTW, just in case you run into a modular plug, there are adapter for 4 prong to modular also. Long live the "PRONG"
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

I like the Phoneco 212 adaptor, but I sure wish  were just a little smaller.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

benhutcherson

I've never had to replace a four prong plug because a little molded piece of plastic broke off and made the whole thing useless.

Of course, modular is just the way it's done now, but I'd take a four-prong plug over modular any day.