News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fake Pacific Telephone Badge

Started by Fabius, May 08, 2015, 12:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

In my opinion this is an obvious fake badge. Wrong pin and numbering style. Similar in appearance to the other fake badges seen on eBay over the last few years. New condition is explained by saying it was found in old building where they were made.

http://tinyurl.com/qhz64x7
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

G-Man

Tom
  His name is Bob Alexander, and is member of the telephone clubs, who owns Guardfrog which at one time, manufactured a wide range of products including reproductions of telephone lampshades, insulators, mouthpieces, mouthpiece attachments, enamel buttons, etc.

His website seems to be screwed up but you should be able to see some of his telephone related products in the top banner.
I don't have time to dig them out right now, but I recall that my Pacific Telephone and Southern California Telephone Company employee badges have the name of a different maker stamped into the back of them.

Fabius

Thanks for the info. I was reluctant to name names though I know who he is.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

The shape on a lot of these looks correct but there are no hallmarks and the clasps are modern.  I wonder if someone took original molds and made reproductions?

Here is a genuine example:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

19and41

No hallmark on the repros, it appears.  The enameled insignia pins we wore in the military had a simple little cast hallmark.  They were more involved and even stamped in earlier times.  We could sometimes find old ones at used clothing stores.  (not just the military pins)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke