News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting Card Dialer...

Started by compubit, April 09, 2020, 12:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

(Redoing, as my phone's browser crashed...)

Last weekend, while browsing eBay (yes, very bad to do!), I did a search on card dialers- never knowing what might pop... And I saw one in the "Results matching fewer words" section a card dialer and a rotary phone (why they weren't in the main search, I don't know). Beige, $300, nothing special, but I looked at the dialer and saw that it was an adjunct, rather than a stand alone device, so I went to take a closer look and was interested to see it was from 1965 - but wait, that's too early for 12-key Touch Tone devices.

After a closer look, I noticed that the * and # symbols were actually the ⭐️ and 🔸 keys. Cool - a rare 12-key with the original symbols. So I bought it.

For a $299 Buy-it-now (+$43.85 shipping), it was mine.

Here's what I know so far (more to come once the covers come off):
- Phone is a 502B (11/64, refurbed 11/65)the cutoff switch cuts off the transmitter; the dial isn't pulsing correctly (seems fast)
- Dialer has a 35M-3 touch pad; 1036D is in ink on the bottom; date appears to be 2/65 (first digit is hard to read); only the card dialing mechanism and a couple of terminal strips in the dialer. Dialer mechanism was slow, but after a couple of card runs, it's working well (probably needs to be lubed a little). Tone Pad dials our fine on my Grandstream ATA (both manually and card)
- Phone line comes into the dialer, then there's a shorter, thicker cable to the phone itself.
- Cards only have the 10-digit matrix printed on them.

Device was well packed (each piece separately wrapped multiple layers, then in box with packing materials, then inside another box.

More to come...
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Now that's a bonus, one never knows what special pieces will show up on eBay.

Good find!

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

oldguy

Congratulations, great find. I've never seen the star & diamond keys before. Very cool combination😀😷
Gary