and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Chrome North Lamp

Started by Pourme, November 04, 2017, 02:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Thanks to SUnset2 for drawing this to my attention here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1000.660

Because "Every phone room needs a lamp" (Doug Rose) My lamps are all black, WE 202 & AE A1 vintage, I thought a chrome lamp may be in order.

The unique thing about this one is the switch is integrated into the dial. Off & on is achieved by dialing any # other than 1. The connection of one of the leads is opened and closed through the switch stack. My question is, is it safe?

The receiver is AE and except for the big hole in it is is pristine and all there.

The chrome is in good condition with a couple of bad spots, will display well.

Take a look and tell me your thoufgts!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

Interesting.

Well, at least someone else hacked up a perfectly good dial so might as well use what you got, right?

I don't know what the contacts would be rated at but I doubt 115 VAC at about a half amp. Did they file off the contact points?

Safe? Don't know. How hot do the contacts get when passing current for a 60 watt bulb? Could always replace the two remaining leafs with a heavier, springy metal.

The big question is not ever having the hot side be in contact with the phone housing which could be a shocking revelation to anyone touch it with bare feet standing in a puddle of water on a concrete floor. Did the AC cord come with a polarized plug?

First thing I do on a lamp phone is put on a new line cord.

Over all, nice phone. Can't wait to see the spruced up imaged.

Pourme

I always use a 15 watt bulb in these lamps, they are more for mood than the main lighting source. The plug wasn't polarized but I will add that.

The points don't appear to be filed. Should I use 3 conductor cord and use the ground?

Benny
Benny

Doug Rose

Benny...I agree 15 watt bulbs are perfect and last forever. Hard to find now, I loaded up from a yard sale this spring....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

I would use LED bulbs if I could find one with that low wattage .. good find at a yard sale, Doug...
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on November 04, 2017, 03:24:25 PM
I always use a 15 watt bulb in these lamps, they are more for mood than the main lighting source. The plug wasn't polarized but I will add that.

The points don't appear to be filed. Should I use 3 conductor cord and use the ground?

Benny

As for the bulbs, Walmart has their generic LED bulbs (look like edison bulbs) at about $5 for 6 at the 60 watt level. I didn't check the lower wattage bulbs, should be less, but Doug had a good idea there, draws less current. I've been switching over to the 60 watt LED at that price and like them (non dimable though - dimable are a lot more). A 15 watt bulb would only draw 0.125 amps so low current.

Looking at the picture, the contact bead on the leaf looks rounded enough to take that current.

As for the cord, 3 conductor is going to be too fat. Not only does it not like turning sharp corners but it won't fit up the pipe stand (unless you strip the outer jacket). And then the exposed part, from the lamp to the wall will not hang or lay well. Don't know if you can get those in black or white anymore and getting it a plug molded to the end would be expensive. I tried cutting the female end off of an 18 gauge extension cord to find it wouldn't fit, too big.

This is what I bought, still have some left, for about $3 each, not a bad price for an 8' cord with attached polarized plug.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-12-8-BLACK-CORD-W-PLUG/200865713177

If you wire it correctly with a polarized plug, the housing should not become hot. Wire it up and check it with a DVM. As long as the dial does not fall apart, it should stay safe with the hot going through the leaves and to the center of the socket.

AE_Collector

AE Dials are easy to modify for on/off of a lamp. Dialing an even number alternates the lamp from on to off to on etc. An odd number leaves the lamp the way it was before dialing. Usually half the fibre cam is cut off but I see this person chopped a big V into it. I guess that works too!

Safe....well...um....err...
I changed my matching 40 bed side lamps to 3 conductor AC cords (old computer power cords) connecting the ground lead to the back of the dial, the frame of the hook switch and the metal baseplate but it still wouldn't pass an electrical inspection. I feel safe enough using it now though.

Here in "AE Territory", retired telco guys made lots and lots of lamps always using the modified dial to turn it on and off. I have a 50 lamp as well.

Terry

Pourme

Thanks Terry for the insight. I will take your experience and advice into account...as always! I'm a bit excited about making this compromised phone into a beautiful and cherished lamp to enhance my collection!

Benny
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 04, 2017, 09:38:20 PM
Safe....well...um....err...
I changed my matching 40 bed side lamps to 3 conductor AC cords (old computer power cords) connecting the ground lead to the back of the dial, the frame of the hook switch and the metal baseplate but it still wouldn't pass an electrical inspection. I feel safe enough using it now though.

Computer power cords are quite fat and short. Don't think I've ever seen a lamp with a three conductor cord/plug, even metal lamps. Yes, safer but apparently not necessarily to be UL approved for commercial sale.

Interesting info about AE dials being made into switches. Never had the heart to back an AE dial on any of my lap phones. Always went with the pushbutton bulb sockets. Old school.

AE_Collector

Quote from: TelePlay on November 04, 2017, 11:19:51 PM
Computer power cords are quite fat and short.

My thoughts exactly as I was rummaging for suitable cords. I came up with a couple that were relatively thinly jacketed, extra flexible and long enough for the purpose. In the end I think these cords looked quite similar to some of the fat base cords of that era.

Terry

TelePlay

When first doing lamps, I found this site

http://www.sundialwire.com/3-conductor.aspx

which has all sorts of 1, 2 and 3 conductor brand new cloth cords in 12 to 22 gauge by the 100 ft spools. Looked at it for possible phone cords but the smaller gauges only came in twisted 2 conductor (second image below).

These are nice cords for fans and lamps but they are sold by 100' spools and you have to provide your own plug. If you do a lot of lamp work or want a long cord, not a bad price. All different colors and designs to match old fan and lamp cords. Some of the designs would look great on those nicely restored chrome or brass fans.

First image is of

"3-CONDUCTOR 18-GAUGE BLACK COTTON PULLEY CORD - UL-Listed - 100' spool -- Item #:  W183CPBKXXULS   Price: $95.00"
"Approximate Diameter (+/- 2 mm): 7.1 mm, about 1/4" -- Maximums: 300 Volts, 105° C -- UL: UL Listed, SVT-B -- Made in: USA"

I suppose shipping is added on. Posted here in case any else may be interested in a source for lamp and fan line cords. Never did find a good source for old phone cloth cords other than OPW and eBay resale. This black 3 conductor is only 1/4" OD but the guage is too stiff for a subset cord, and no 4 conductor available.

Pourme

I went to Lowe's this morning. I had decided not to use 3 conductor cord. I found a 3 conductor flush plug extension cord 16ga. It was pricey compared to the price I paid for the lamp, I oped for safety sake. The only thing I didn't care for was the white color. You can't even see the cord where I put it. I soldered the connections to spades because the screws used weren't made for 16ga wire connections.

I think my shade looks a bit large for the phone, think I will look for a smaller shade.

Over all I am quite pleased, for my $25.00 initial investment. After all these chrome north phones are a good looking phone. It cleaned up well and looks really nice!

Benny
Benny

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Pourme

Benny

TelePlay

Yes, turned out well, and safe.

I think a smaller shade would not work. The shade has to be at least as wide as the handset or a bit bigger to look good. Too big does not work either.

Finding the right diameter shade at the bottom and top (which determines the side slope) at a reasonable price is difficult these days. Walmart was selling the perfect black shade but discontinued them a few years ago. The top diameter was small so the slant was in my eyes very good. That discontinued shade is on the 302 image attached (BTW, one of Doug's lamp phones that he put up for sale). Had I known they were going to discontinue them, I'd bought two dozen (they were $10 each).

Since then, the shades I've been buying are the same as yours. Good bottom diameter and not too tall but with an nice slant. Not many shades out there to cover an F1 or similar handset.