News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

magic jack versus ooma, versus ???

Started by RB, May 25, 2018, 09:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

OK, looked at several solutions, only to become even more confused...
do any of these boxes support rotary dialing as well as tone?
can't find conclusive info...???

Key2871

Magic Jack does not support rotary dialing. It's basic static and let's you hear the calling party when it decides. Personally I'd avoid magic Jack and research ooma, or voip with your local provider.
KEN

dc4code

Message me and I will show you how to setup google voice on a Grandstream HT502 (Supports pulse dialing)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Unlocked-Grandstream-HandyTone-502-HT502/292483020992?epid=1226944429&hash=item441958b8c0:g:9N0AAOSwMmBV7RCO

I can help you set up your free google voice number (Free unlimited calls and free outgoing calls to all of U.S and Canada) I will also help you set up your google voice to work with the Grandstream HT502 and I will show you how to connect the grandstream to your house's phone wiring so all the phone jacks are energized.

dc4code

If you need more proof that it works with rotary phones I have about 4 Grandstream HT502s and never had a problem. Although soon I'm getting a POTS line from AT&T :) from my local 5ESS switch :) :)

But I have one for CNET so I can use that and currently I'm using Spectrum's Carrier-grade VOIP out of the modem that works with rotary phones. which is kinda weird but I guess they added that feature for like old alarm systems or something idk.

you can scroll down on that eBay link and you can see two reviews of people saying it worked with their rotary phones :)

dc4code

If you can bundle your internet or tv with your cable companies phone service I would do that,

With all the phone services I've used from cable companies ALL of them:

-Support pulse dialing
-90vac @20hz ringing ; 48vdc idle ; 6-9v off-hook
-Supports faxing & dial-up
-Most  modem come with a battery backup for up to 24 hours of standby and 12 hours of talk

In fact bundling your Tv-internet-phone will decrease your bill as this is a 'Triple Play' service.

If not though then I can show you the Grandstream and google voice trick that works very well :)

Key2871

KEN

compubit

You do want to check with your video/Internet provider as to their offerings. Some folks have had voice service that worked with rotary dials, only to have that function stop working after a firmware upgrade from the cable or phone company.

Also check the "all in" price, including taxes, franchise fees, broadcast fees, regional sports fees...

2 is examples:
Comcast Northern Virginia: 50 MB Internet only was $59 + no taxes (Virginia)
50 MB Internet + Lifeline cable was $49 + tax on TV (about $1.20) (no broadcast TV or franchise  fee, since it's considered lifeline and only included broadcast and public access channels)
Triple Play: $99.99 (50 MB Internet + middle TV package + phone): all in was over $130: (broadcast TV fee:$8; regional sports fee: $6; franchise fee: over $10; telephone access fee (911/Interconnect fee/USF/etc.: over $5 + Sales and use tax... + box rental...

I went with Internet/cable.

Verizon FiOS:
Gigabit Internet: $79.99 (no taxes)
Triple Play: $79.99 : all in price for as around $110 before box rental

I went with Internet.
(I do have an antenna in my attic and get both DC and Baltimore stations, vs. DC only (and not all subchannels) on cable... so why would I want to pay a "broadcast TV" fee...

Check the total cost.

I have an Ooma line and it's $10 per month... (though I haven't checked on Rotary dialing with this box... - it's hooked to my Panasonic KX-TA624.

Jim

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AE_Collector

I see Grandstream HT502's on Amazon from $15 to $50. Each one looks different than the next though. Does "two port" mean it will support two lines? Are these something that some cable providers may use to supply phone lines? I see these boxes left behind in houses and/or at thrift stores for cheap.

Terry

dc4code

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 25, 2018, 07:58:46 PM
I see Grandstream HT502's on Amazon from $15 to $50. Each one looks different than the next though. Does "two port" mean it will support two lines? Are these something that some cable providers may use to supply phone lines? I see these boxes left behind in houses and/or at thrift stores for cheap.

Terry

No HT502's are different unless they have like a sticker that came with the phone provider on them but other than that they're all the same so you were probably looking at other models.

The Grandstream HT502 has 2 Phone ports, 2 ethernet ports, 12v 2a 5.5x2.1mm DC power input.

They support Tone & Pulse dialing
They have a REN of 5.0 (Typical for any phone service)

5.0 REN per port to be exact.

Specs:

on-hook voltage is 48V DC

off-hook voltage is 3–9V DC

ring voltage 90Vrms AC at 20Hz (this is superimposed on the 48V)

hurts like heck if you are holding the bare copper wire when it rings (I've unfortunately tested. well you know what they say.... When the phone line rings YOU RING TOO!)

They are not used to distribute phone service from the cable company.

They are used for online providers like Voipo, VoIP.ms, Callcentric, Vonage, Phonepower & any other SIP-based provider. They are also used to connect to your own PBX Server for phone service. I am unaware of local providers that hand these out for their phone service but who knows! :)

compubit

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 25, 2018, 07:58:46 PM

Terry
Sometimes folks use pictures of different models on eBay/Amazon.

I use VOIP.ms for my provider.

You can get a free line at CallCentric (I think it's them) with an Upstate New York telephone number. The only catch is that you need to have some activity on the line at least once a month, or they'll cancel the number...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

dc4code

Yeah same I have a 2 free call-centric numbers, 2 voip.ms number, and I'm getting POTS line soon.

(Currently, I use the phone service from the cable company) 
Works very good and pulse dialing works.

AE_Collector

Can't beat free! Does anyone know if the Call Centric Service works within Canada and/or for calls between the US and Canada? I used to have three pots lines but am down to one now which won't be going away but one more line on my key system that could call to the US would be nice to have.

An easy insurance policy to make at least one call per month would be to use it for my alarm panel line as it checks in every couple of weeks...but...my Telco pots line on copper all the way to the CO would be much more reliable and not subject to power outages etc.

Thanks for all the info everyone....

Terry

dc4code

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 26, 2018, 02:02:07 PM
Can't beat free! Does anyone know if the Call Centric Service works within Canada and/or for calls between the US and Canada? I used to have three pots lines but am down to one now which won't be going away but one more line on my key system that could call to the US would be nice to have.

An easy insurance policy to make at least one call per month would be to use it for my alarm panel line as it checks in every couple of weeks...but...my Telco pots line on copper all the way to the CO would be much more reliable and not subject to power outages etc.

Thanks for all the info everyone....

Terry

the reason I have a grandstream HT502. Because Traditional POTS lines might not be around in 10-15 years ;(

At least there is carrier-grade VoIP and ATAs that support pulse dialing :)

I mean if you modify a battery backup with a car battery then you don't use the AC outlets but you use the USB Ports and buy a 5V2A to 12V step up you can run you're modem and ATA/eMTA for like a month! or more!

So with the right equipment, it can be very reliable but still.

Owain

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 26, 2018, 02:02:07 PMAn easy insurance policy to make at least one call per month would be to use it for my alarm panel line as it checks in every couple of weeks...but...my Telco pots line on copper all the way to the CO would be much more reliable and not subject to power outages etc.

It depends on the ATA, but some have a POTS line pass-through on power fail capability.

Of course, if you don't use your POTS line often you might not notice that's failed until it's too late.

AE_Collector

Well that's an interesting feature! Just like the power fail relays in PBX's.

Terry