News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 T

Started by rdelius, March 04, 2011, 02:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

Note the dial number assy is reverse painted clear plastic like the earlier SC ones.
Most parts 8-51.

rp2813

Nice find.

I sometimes wish my 10/50 500 had a straight handset cord on it.

Ralph

Phonesrfun

That's a wonderful find.  Where did you get it and so forth.  Curious minds wanna know.  Lift the hood and give us a peek inside.
-Bill G

Dan

The size of the operator font is littler. This is a dead giveaway.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

rp2813

Is it really a reverse paint job on the plastic overlay?  I'm pretty sure that on my 10/50 500, the numbers are painted onto the bezel and the overlay is clear.
Ralph

rdelius

this was a Raleigh flea market find several years ago.The dial is a 7a.The bezel is clear (yellowed) plastic
the information is painted on the back like on the earlier SC 1543s.
Has anybody tracked the dates when the 7a dial was replaced .By later 1952 they seem to have been replaced.
Robby

paul-f

The latest 7A in my notes was dated 4/53.  Anyone seen a later one?

The number rings are a different story.  I believe they switched to double injection molding in about 6/51.  The early ones are a real treat to find.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Tom B

Here are some photos of my 1951 J/K 500. As you can see the base is dated 4/51. But the dial bezel doesn't have the smaller "operator". The font of the whole bezel is finer than that of my '52 501 and '56 500. Was there a constant development in the early years in such details?
Tom

paul-f

Check the date and model number on the back of the dial.  Dials were easy to change, so often don't match the bottom stamping.

Can you tell if the phone was originally marked T under the current J/K?

The J and K models didin't exist in 1951, so that stamping was added during refurb.  Checking the dates on all components will tell what was changed.

Unfortunately, the dial number ring wasn't date stamped, so we have to guess on dates, based largely on finding dates-matching sets and hoping the number ring was original to the dial.

Looking at the back of the number ring will tell whether it was double injection molded -- you can see the white material that was forced into the letters and numbers.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Tom B

Here are more pictures - the dial is 4/51, (though you can see the bezel is injection moulded) as is the ringer and the shell. The handset is 12/51 and transmitter is 11/51
Tom

rdelius

More photos.Took cover off dial so you can see what a 7a looks like.See black paint on back of plastic
Robby