News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

trimline dial install

Started by RB, September 04, 2018, 04:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

I have 2 trimline phones with rotary dial.
The finger wheels have been removed, and I cannot get them back on.
Plus, extra parts...
Is there a breakout of the parts? and a procedure for reinstalling the finger wheel?
Thanks much.

Key2871

You will need small E clip to retain the finger wheel. You will also need the finger stop, and a washer ring that has three legs that also retains the finger wheel.

To start with, have all these parts handy. Then put the finger stop on the dial by holding the dial in the approximate position. Then line up the nylon parts of the dial with the finger wheels slots. Hold it in place with your finger, now position the metal "spider" washer over the centerpin of the dial. You will need to put some pressure on this to actually give clearance for the E clip that goes on next.

All this is providing the dial didn't get "sprung" and the dial will not return to its stopping point.

I have not seen a break down of how to install the finger wheel. I have had several break, and the dial got sprung, so it actually had to be wound up so it would dial properly, not too fast and not too slow.
With the shell assembled is your best way. Because it helps to lay it on its back when placing the finger wheel and E clip.

Hope this helps.
KEN

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

Also found this on youtube. This guy takes apart a 220, but no info re the finger wheel. Might help with the extra parts you mention?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VILT6r7vA0M

(I've just bought a Trimline so was interested to see what I could find out).  :D

Key2871

Paul, if you want pictures, let me know. I have a 220 in the shed I'll take pics for you taking it apart to showcase the steps involved. That you tube link is kinda a waste of time as far as the finger wheel goes, some of the other links won't work so things can't be viewed.
KEN

Jim Stettler

I pulled up the bsp for a trimline dial, It has this caution:

Caution: Do not attempt to remove the
fingerwheel, finger stop, number plate,
and number card. Replace the handset if
any of these items are damaged or marred.
The dial can unwind and become inoperative
in the process of replacing the above items.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Quote from: Key2871 on September 04, 2018, 06:20:30 PM
Paul, if you want pictures, let me know. I have a 220 in the shed I'll take pics for you taking it apart to showcase the steps involved. That you tube link is kinda a waste of time as far as the finger wheel goes, some of the other links won't work so things can't be viewed.

Opps. I did say no info re the fingerwheel.  :-\

BUT
You do phones aplenty - have you thought of turning any of them into a youtube vid? It would be good to have some decent step by step phone repair clips up there, and you've got a really nice little workstation too..... You could start with the Trimline...   :)

Key2871

Ma bell didn't want repairmen using valuable time trying to repair phones in the field. They would rather you replace the defective part/ phone than to try to fix it.
Back in the day around here, these things for the most part were thrown out, than to be returned to WE for repair.
I found many tramlines bases, with bad caps so they no longer rang. Thrown away with new plastics, in boxes.
So again, if wanted I'll take pictures tomorrow of disassembly and post them here. For everyone to have for reference.
KEN

Key2871

Sorry, I just read the rest of the prior post.
I have not the first clue how to up load to YouTube, my wife might, because she did one a long time back.
I'll ask her. In fact I'd need her to hold the phone to better record the work. I've seen many hokey videos on the tube that drives me to drink.
So I'll ask her, and go from there.
KEN

RB

You guys are awesome.
Thank you.

Key2871

Hey Paul, it's very hot and humid, for the next few days. So I'm not going to be in my shed, too dang hot.
I did find my 220, and started to look it over. Sure as heck, if the finger wheel gets removed, it will spring the dial, in other words it will unwind the dial. So when it gets cooler, in a few days I'll go back out and take some pictures of how to get it back to normal again. Till then stay cool.
KEN

Key2871

OK,  First you'll need all parts pictured, they are not in specific order so there is a small ring that is flexible that goes on first (if you don't have it don't worry much) it's just there to make sure the finger stop moves reel free. I've seen dials with and without it it works fine either way.

OK, next is the thicker ring with a notch, and a leg.  After you wind the dial about three times clock wise, with one hand hold the dial in the position shown. Then with the other hand, position  the notched ring with the wide part to between the 0 and the 1. Now take the finger stop position the part as pictured, the leg on the stop below the ring already installed.

Now carefully put the finger wheel on. Being careful not to lift the ring off the mechanism, or you'll have to start over again. Now the spider washer goes on so there is tension on the finger wheel. Using one hand and a small bladed screw drive, put pressure on the center near the pin.
Now the E clip should slide in close, you may need a second screwdriver to push it home.
Replace the dial center and your done.

You need to make sure the mech holes are in the position shown, or it won't go together right. And the three legged washer needs to be centered on the pin, because it has to collapse some to tension the finger wheel.

Older dials have the larger clip as seen in the picture, older are smaller and somewhat harder to deal with. A screwdriver with a magnetized tip is handy here. Helps line up the washer, and clip.
KEN

Key2871

If you don't get a dial tone, it's too tight, unwind one revolution. And that should fix it.
Good luck. Let me know if you have questions, I'll try to give you the answer.
KEN

rdelius

IF you ever need to remove a trimline fingerwheel, do not remove the e clip in the center.Attached are AE instructions that should work on WE also

Key2871

The only way to get the finger wheel off a western tramline, is to remove the E Clip. You can't get it off otherwise.
KEN