News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1890 N.E.T.&T. CO. three boxer restoration

Started by Sargeguy, January 20, 2017, 05:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have located the correct backboard and battery box for this phone.  These were made of Eastern white pine and stained to look like walnut.  The battery box has a flat top and opens from the side.  The box is pretty beaten up ("primitive" as they say in the antique trade). There are pieces missing from the corners, the holes for mounting the box are blown out, and there are cracks in the battery box panels.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

They call it "Distressed" here.

But, great find.....the restoration continues...

Terrry

RotarDad

Greg - Great you can reassemble that phone!  What is the proper way to restore something like that where wood is missing, and holes are blown out?  Do you add material?
Paul

Sargeguy

You start by disassembling the parts.  In Western Electric phones it is a simple matter of unscrewing everything.  You can then work the finger joints loose.  The lower box was originally held on with 4 screws.  The box was nailed together with small finishing nails.  Unfortunately the box's bottom panel began to crack, and the person who fixed it used a lot of nails, which opened up new cracks in the side. He eventually nailed a piece of a cigar box to the bottom to stabilize it, but did so before closing up the crack in the side properly.  I removed the cigar box panel and have begun gluing the side and bottom panels back together
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I haven't done much on this project lately.  The cabinetmaker who was supposed to replicate the backboard misplaced it.  The battery box still needs work.  I was able to locate another battery box (thanks Russ Kirk) and a replica Blake transmitter.  I am still in need of a backboard however.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409