News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

When you need a bias spring

Started by JimNY, December 20, 2021, 08:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNY

So I was in need of a bias spring to complete a project.  After reading a post about someone using a reclaimed spring from a keyboard, I decided to try to make one using a rubber band and thread. While it's not particularly pretty to look at (the pink thread isn't that bad), it actually works really well.  Not a long term solution, but in pinch it seems to do the trick!

Scott

TelePlay

Quote from: JimNY on December 20, 2021, 08:06:51 PM
So I was in need of a bias spring to complete a project. . . .  I decided to try to make one using a rubber band . . .

Great idea but keep in mind that rubber bands over time deteriorate - get hard, loose their stretch and can break all by themselves. I've had to toss out bags of rubber bands that hardened after a year or two. I buy cheapest I can find so that may have something to do with it.

Hardware stores, like Ace and True Value (or whatever you have in your area) have hundreds of different springs some of which are the same diameter as the original bias springs with different lengths and stiffness. A mild stiffness spring will last longer than a rubber band for long term use.

Stores like Home Depot or Menards don't have springs.

Desert Phone Guy

Or you can also purchase them.

I have bought several and they work well, if you don't mind the price...

See attached link

https://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/bias-springs-for-subsets-ringers-and-wall-telephones.html

SUnset2

RB

That is pretty cool.
adjustable, too ;)

JimNY

This was more of a 'can i do it' thing due and not meant as a permanent thing.  I attribute it to my total lack of patience. The plan is to pick up a proper spring when I have time.

HowardPgh

I use the springs from cheap ballpoint pens. They look close and seem to have the right springiness.
Howard

dsk

Quote from: HowardPgh on December 21, 2021, 10:11:23 AM
I use the springs from cheap ballpoint pens. They look close and seem to have the right springiness.
So do I. Works well.