News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Turquoise Leich North Conversion Parts Lot

Started by magicbrain, February 21, 2018, 03:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbrain

I saw this Leich North conversion parts lot on Ebay described as "green" - one shell looking like turquoise and one like faded aqua blue, so I took a chance and ended up getting it for $9.99+$18.85 shipping as the only bidder.

Having received them both are definitely turquoise ABS plastic, one shell being faded more than the other - I think I have the missing parts to put them together - if these use the same parts as the AE 80's for the handset, dial & cords?
Bruce

AE_Collector

From what I can see it looks as though removing those metal pieces will make it an AE80 shell that you can put onto an 80. Definitely look like AE Turquoise in decent condition to me. I might have some odd turquoise bits or cords around if you come up short of something.

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 21, 2018, 03:56:52 PM
From what I can see it looks as though removing those metal pieces will make it an AE80 shell that you can put onto an 80. Definitely look like AE Turquoise in decent condition to me. I might have some odd turquoise bits or cords around if you come up short of something.

Terry
They don't look like standard 80 housings to me. I don't know too much about these, but it seems like they pretty much mirrored the 5302 design. I think they used a dial ring instead of a bezel to use up old thee inch dials, and shortened the housing design by lopping off everything just behind the cradle ears to accommodate the shorter base.

Do you have everything seen in the auction picture? I think that those Aqua dial rings shown at the bottom of the picture went with the housings. I would guess that you just need to find an Aqua three inch dial plate!

Great finds! I wish I had seen those!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

paul-f

There are some photos of the Leich conversion kit components here and on the linked page:

http://www.paul-f.com/500style.html#L7H6M

As Christian pointed out, looking at the shape of the back of the housing will tell if it's an AE80 or conversion part.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: paul-f on February 21, 2018, 05:07:19 PM
As Christian pointed out, looking at the shape of the back of the housing will tell if it's an AE80 or conversion part.

That's what it appears to be to me. It looks like someone disassembled a couple conversion sets, thinking that parting them out would get them a higher final price.

WRONG! ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

Yes you may be correct...the back end does look awful short! I wonder what make and model of phone is included in this lit? North converting to Leich I guess and the Leich Is gonna be "Leich an AE80?"

The very earliest AE80's used 3" dials with rings like these.

Terry

paul-f

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 21, 2018, 09:17:26 PM
... I wonder what make and model of phone is included in this lit? North converting to Leich I guess and the Leich Is gonna be "Leich an AE80?"

Some examples are on the linked page:

http://www.paul-f.com/Leich_7H6.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Thanks for the link Paul. That clears things up quite a bit.

Terry

rdelius

The handset on these resembles a type 81 but is made to use WE F1a type guts.the caps are different see GTE 473-802-300

magicbrain

These are the Leich conversion kit shells - they are ABS plastic, but are much thicker than the WE ABS shells
The base plates are North 6H8's dated 47 and 48 - both missing the straight line ringers.
I have some AE 81/810 handsets & cords - will have to see if the caps & WE guts included fit inside.
I will working on these over the weekend and will add pictures of the progress.
Bruce