News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ring cadence? Huh?

Started by old_stuff_hound, November 03, 2011, 08:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Don't forget a special number for collection agencies, telemarketers, and scammers ;)

bakerbrett741

There is a "spoofing" service that can change the pitch of the callers voice- mabe there is one that can change ring pattern.
http://www.spooftel.com/freecall/

bakerbrett741

With call centers having their calls made through a computer modem they might have some program that has the phone co. computers change the ring pattern- or mabe their computer dial program on their computers has a "glitch" and changes ring pattern. I don't know- Im no expert on telecommunications- just a wild guess.

GusHerb

We have a second number on one of our home phone lines, the distinctive ring is just a normal ring chopped into two shorter rings..The fax machine is programmed to only answer on the distinctive ring.
I know when calling the house the first ring will be just a quick ring, something to do with the ring timing or something. the ring on the callers end is never in sync with the phone ringing in the house either.
Jonathan

old_stuff_hound

Just got a call at our short-short ring cadence number. I was busy so didn't answer it, but when I got a chance I checked the caller ID. It said "Phone Scam". Nothing like truth in advertising, hmm? ;-)

GusHerb

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on February 02, 2012, 08:24:06 PM
Just got a call at our short-short ring cadence number. I was busy so didn't answer it, but when I got a chance I checked the caller ID. It said "Phone Scam". Nothing like truth in advertising, hmm? ;-)

That's actually quite hilarious. I've got a cordless phone system that has call blocking, so any nuisance number I can just save it to the phone and it picks up on first ring then hangs up on em. Our double ring number only rings when a fax is coming in (yeah people still use fax these days)
Jonathan

Owain

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on November 03, 2011, 08:59:58 PM
Turns out she didn't answer it -- she checked the caller id and it was an 800 number (I guess there are some advantages to newer phones ;-). Just googled it and it's a collection agency. I hope this isn't starting again -- we've already had to have our number changed once (several years ago) because the previous owner of that number was apparently a credit card "artist". We were getting several collection calls a day, so we finally abandoned that number and got a new one. The past week or so it seems like it's been starting up with the current number. Bummer.

Don't you have an equivalent to Truecall in the US?

twocvbloke

I'm not sure I could trust a company who can't spell "silent" properly on their front page.... :D

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 03, 2012, 08:27:55 AM
I'm not sure I could trust a company who can't spell "silent" properly on their front page.... :D

Those slient calls are the worst! ;-)

I've discovered that we do have a limited call-blocking ability (4 numbers, I think?) as part of our phone service. If Mr. Phone Scam calls again, he's getting blocked!