"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT rotary phone incoming call problem

Started by Brenda, May 08, 2015, 03:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brenda

Hello everyone,

I have an ITT phone that works other than when I receive calls, the phone will chime (one bell strike) and then all the phones in the house will stop ringing.  There is only silence on the callers phone.  The call does not end until I pick up the phone then hang up.  The prong that holds the cord into the jack is also broken so I need to replace it if you can direct me to a tutorial for that also.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Weco355aman

What you are describing sounds like a (Ring trip) 1st unplug this phone and see if the others do the same. If so repeat the process with the other phones. If the same thing happens with the other phones unplugged, then go to your Network interface (if your home is 80's or newer. If not you may have what's called a Protector only, with out a test point)
box where the telephone line come from your telephone company and unplug the short cord inside and plug in one of you phones and see if it still happens.  This process need a Cell phone or a friend to call you many times. If phone rings more that once then you have a phone issue OR a wet jack/bad cord on a phone. If the trouble continues then call your telephone provider and have them fix the trouble  on there lines. From what you said about the jack in your phone that may be the problem.
Phil

Brenda

Thank you!  I will test it out and report back with the result. 

CanadianGuy

Ah ring trips. I still see them once in a while. I usually see it caused by corroded jacks especially in damp basements. I think they're considered high resistance shorts. Maybe it's the bell/ringer in that phone?