News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC 1553 Wiring Issue - Help Please

Started by debeaune, May 19, 2015, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Team, I have a SC 1553 that I am at my wits end on.  I have done a dozen o these and never had this issue, I cannot hear a dial tone but it rings but will not pick up.  There was a capacitor between 2 and 6 but even with the cap I can barely hear.  If I place a jumper between 2 and 6, I get a nice loud dial tone but can't hang up, constant dial tone.  Am I missing something, is something mis-wired. Not sure if its relevant but instead of a solid orange and green off the hook I had purple/orange and purple/green.  Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.  Tim

unbeldi

1:  red (hooksw) & white (dial)
2:      orange & red (ringer)
    3:  brown (dial)
4:      green (hooksw.)
    5:  -
6:      red (dial) & green (handset)
    7:  green (dial)
8:      blue (hooksw)
    9:  red (handset)
10:    -
   11: yellow (handset)
12:    -

A jumper between 2 and 6 simply connects the receiver directly to the line, therefore you are experiencing what you described. There should be nothing connecting those two directly.

G-Man

Perhaps this will supplement Unbeldi's detailed instructions.

debeaune

Thank you all but very embarrassed, this hook switch is special, you have to slide to the left to answer and engage tone.  Very sorry, appreciate the help, chalk it up to old age i guess.Enjoy the weekend!

G-Man

Quote from: debeaune on May 20, 2015, 05:38:32 PM
Thank you all but very embarrassed, this hook switch is special, you have to slide to the left to answer and engage tone.  Very sorry, appreciate the help, chalk it up to old age i guess.Enjoy the weekend!
Ahh, a two-step switchook to allow the subscriber to monitor the line prior to seizing it to dial out.
No harm, only makes the rest of us to be mindful of this when working on this and other models.

unbeldi

Alright.
Your phone should be marked  2-1553W in that case!