"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for a way to fill a crack in bakelite

Started by Phonesrfun, September 20, 2009, 09:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

This is for my K900 Masterphone.

I have a correct handset, but the only problem is that it was cracked.  The metal conductors inside are pretty stout and served to keep the handset in one piece but loose.  I filled it with super glue and sanded it pretty smooth, but each time I think I have the crack filled in, the sanding winds up taking some of it back.  I am probably going to need to paint this handset anyway, so I am about to try automotive spot putty which has worked on these kinds of things in the past.

Before I wander down to the nearest NAPA, does anyone have any other suggestions?

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Sorry, nothing from me Bill.  I have no experience with Bakelite repair.  I have heard of JB weld but that would be better for a repair inside the housing or somewhere else where it wouldn't  be seen.

Jester

I've had good results from JBWeld.  Make sure your break is clean and that you resist the temptation to buy JBKWIK.  The cure time is much faster, but the bonding ability is horrible.  I get great results from regular JBWeld with an overnight cure.  Just be careful not to "bridge" between your metal conductors-- I'm not too sure this stuff is nonconductive.
Stephen

JorgeAmely

Bill:

Cut a groove (or V shaped trench) with a Dremel tool. Fill it with JB Weld. Let it sit for a couple of days under the hot sun. Sand progressively to even out with the Bakelite. Prime and ready to paint.
Jorge

Phonesrfun

Jorge:

What sort of tip on the Dremel would be best for the task?  Your suggestion makes sense.  I have been trying to fill the crack as it exists, but it is so narrow and so irregular.  Making a controlled and somewhat wider groove makes sense.  Kind of like what the dentist would do.  I'll bet Dan would agree.

Bill
-Bill G

Dan

Bill make a "V" groove about two times the width of the crack (5 millimeters or so). Use a round tapered bur. (dremel type). Jorge has the rest covered finishing her up. good luck
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

Thanks, folks, I will do that.  I have a Dremel with all the bits.

-Bill G

bwanna

bill, i admire your bravery & tenacity in tackling this project. looking forward to more progress reports.
donna

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Bill;
If you don't want to paint the handset, "v" out the crack, and fill will superglue. Make sure the crack is clean, as any thing in the crack will show through the superglue. Let it dry thouroughly, the superglue will be as hard if not harder than the bakelite.
I use emory boards to flaten the superglue, then wet sand to blend in. The clear superglue will pick up the color of the bakelite, and will be almost invisible if you sanded it properly.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

cloyd

Bill,
I read the string of posts from 2009 regarding repairing the crack in the handset.  How did it turn out?  Do you  have an "after" picture?  After six more years of experience, do you have different advice?
cloyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Phonesrfun

Ha!

It still sits on the shelf.  One of those projects that one never seems to get around to doing!

Since '09 there have been other projects that have joined this one on the shelf too!

-Bill
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 29, 2015, 06:54:37 PM
Ha!

It still sits on the shelf.  One of those projects that one never seems to get around to doing!

Since '09 there have been other projects that have joined this one on the shelf too!

-Bill

Ha!  I'm the same way!  Can't wait for the Seattle show to get more OMS (Oh Maybe Someday) projects!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e