News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found on eBay, My First Phone!

Started by HarrySmith, November 09, 2017, 01:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I bet I'm not the only one who had one of these!
There are a few of them listed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332431225155
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jsowers

I had one. It's still in my mom's attic along with my model cars, my Vac-U-Form, my Matchbox and Hot Wheels stuff and my Creepy Crawlers Thingmaker, with the Plastigoop long dried up.

Does anyone entertain the notion that someday they will run across their actual childhood phone on eBay? Almost every time I see an AE40 with no chrome anywhere and the original number card, I have the urge to look, just in case it might be our old phone. Never mind that I've never, ever seen any phone of that vintage from my telco for sale anywhere--thrifts or yard sales or whatever. They were so tight with their phones back then and not many escaped and I don't think many people bought their phones when the time came. We turned ours in and used one from my small collection, rent-free, when party lines ceased about 1984.
Jonathan

RB

I think we had about 3 or 4 of those guys!
startin to collect stuff like that for grand kids!

HarrySmith

Quote from: jsowers on November 09, 2017, 01:40:31 PM
I had one. It's still in my mom's attic along with my model cars, my Vac-U-Form, my Matchbox and Hot Wheels stuff and my Creepy Crawlers Thingmaker, with the Plastigoop long dried up.

Creepy Crawlers! WOW! I had forgotten about those things! How cool was that, I used to love making those things! Brings back childhood memories.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

Not quite the same though. Imported, plastic & non-toxic. What happened to the good old days when we could chew on wooden toys and ingest lead paint? Pop small toy parts into our mouths? Throw large metal darts at each other? IE= lawn darts.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

I had alot of toys when I was a child, but not a Thingmaker.  Most of my friends had them, so I would usually ask to play with them to make spiders and things when I was playing at other kid's houses.

Larry

AL_as_needed

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 09, 2017, 04:50:22 PM
Not quite the same though. Imported, plastic & non-toxic. What happened to the good old days when we could chew on wooden toys and ingest lead paint? Pop small toy parts into our mouths? Throw large metal darts at each other? IE= lawn darts.

I had a set of these growing up, and the messed up part is we would try and hit each other... Lucky for all involved we were quick on our feet and kind of bad at throwing things with accuracy.... Come to think of it, my friends and I were always throwing things at each other, rocks, balls, water balloons, insults, explains a lot.
TWinbrook7

HarrySmith

Quote from: AL_as_needed on November 10, 2017, 06:47:05 AM
I had a set of these growing up, and the messed up part is we would try and hit each other... Lucky for all involved we were quick on our feet and kind of bad at throwing things with accuracy.... Come to think of it, my friends and I were always throwing things at each other, rocks, balls, water balloons, insults, explains a lot.

Yeah always. Add BB guns to the list also!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"