News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

USB typewriter connection

Started by Tribune, August 25, 2010, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tribune

On a bit of a retro kick at the moment, kind of a spin-off from the vintage telephone thing. Getting interested in refurbishing my home office with a 1930s Art Deco feel. Got me thinking about what to do with one's very essential, but certainly ugly, modern computer.

I've seen several posts on the web about converting empty old bakelite tube radio shells into desktop computer boxes. Doesn't seem too hard. Even thought about "art deco-ing" the flat screen (as per some of Jeffrey Stephenson's fabulous creations). But what to do about the keyboard?

Well, came across this fabulous device - the USB Typewriter conversion kit. Allows you to modify any vintage typewriter to use as a computer keyboard, and in many cases preserve the original functionality of the typewriter. Looks like a great idea!

Has anyone on this forum used one of these or attempted the conversion? I'd love to know what you thought before I consider dropping some money on this. But an old typewriter, a computer hidden in an old radio, and an "art-decoed" screen would look fabulous next to my NE 302! Just have to find some cloth covered USB cables and an Art Deco mouse now!!!
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

gpo706

Incredible!

Have to get my old Remington from the loft.

It's like a prop from the film "Brazil".
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Bill

Hey, that reminds me! I used to have a typewriter with a computer connector that would turn it into a dot matrix printer. Kind of the opposite of what you are looking for! Maybe if you put it on your desk upside down and a bit sideways ...

Bill