News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 24 Dials and Early Logos

Started by Slal, January 05, 2018, 11:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

In rummaging through attic to find navy phone, came across AE project I never finished.  Needs 24 or 24A36 dial.

This one (assume it's a 24A36) looks cool, but have prices gone up?  He wants that much because of white on black dial plate?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162722012014

Couldn't find any early ones with circular logo.  Plenty of 24's that have diamond logo though.  I thought they had circular logo & went with 24A36 dial at about same time changed to diamond shaped logo.

Example from ebay:   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111759481535

Any docs of 24 with diamond logo?  Mine are on usb drive that won't mount.

OT:  Anyone know of reputable data recovery service.  USB drive also has family photos going back to 1994 I think.  Hoping I can get that back. 

AE_Collector

You may find some good info here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5867.0

I'm by far no expert on AE dials and markings (despite my forum handle) but yes I think you are correct for the most part. I think a general rule to differentiate AE Type 24, 24A36, 51 & 51A dials from each other is as follows:

- 24's have oval logo on stamped brass case that is plated to a silver color that looks like steel at first glance. The entire contact set attaches to the back of the case by two screws. The dial makes loud clicks on wind up (not on run down like WECo dials).

-24A36 dials still have the stamped case as above but either make no clicks or only very quiet clicks on wind up. The Logo changed to the AECo Diamond though this change may not have coincided exactly (unknown) with the Pawl Quieting which is the main difference from the older Type 24 Dial.

-51 Dial changed to cast zinc case (just using the cast zinc case loosely here, I'm not certain it is zinc but is cast rather than stamped and has a zinc colouring). The entire spring contact assembly no longer is attached as a single unit, the casting has two built in mounting posts for separate sets of spring pile-ups. Frequently the case casting is painted black rather than being typical cast zinc colour on these dials. There is an opinion that cast cases started with late 24A36 dials rather than with the change to Type 51 dials. There is likely some other significant change from 24A36 to 51 other than the case material if this is true. Maybe the type 51 improvement was a change to the pawl quieting method? It isn't coming to me at the moment. Opinions? Or maybe the case and contact mounting method IS the significant change leading to the model change.

-51A Dial is the same as Type 51 except it changed to bifurcated contacts (2 contact points per spring leaf) and the black painted casting seems to be cast zinc colour now. Again I am not 100% certain if colour change directly follows the change to bifurcated contacts (51->51A) but it's close.

Terry

AE_Collector

The white numbers (only) on black (its actually a Bakelite disc) dials are the ones where the numbers glow in the dark. Primarily military use such as your ships phone.

I acquired several of them NIB maybe 10 years ago and sold most one at a time on eBay. I was typically getting $40-$50 each for them then but always remember the one that two people "had to have"! I got something like $125 for it!

Is this what you are looking for? I think I kept two of them (New in Box but uncertain just what model they are at the moment) and would be willing to part with one more... If I can locate them that is!

Terry

rdelius

i think both the dials shown are 24a36 dials but without dialing them or inspecting the inside it is hard to tell. ae collector s information is the same as i remember from my 25 years rebuilding dials. That dial with the brass fingerwheel has a later domed fingerwheel and could stand a good cleaning.That other dial might not be for a telephone but a radio or FAA remote contril

AE_Collector

Yes I forgot to mention that unless that one with Channel Selector on the dial card just has an odd dial card on it...it could very well have Normally Open pulse contacts.

Terry

rdelius

some remote contols used nc contacts just like a  standard telephone to  run a strowger or uniselector switch

AE_Collector

At least it doesn't have 11 finger holes.

Terry

rdelius

I have uesd the ones with extra holes to be differant

AE_Collector

Should label the extra hole as "Long Distance" like the 1905 Strowgers!

Sounds better than what it is really labelled A (Hole).

Terry

Slal

Heh.  Think I ran across one.  Maybe I'll get it as conversation starter.   ;)

"What's A mean on it?"

"That's to dial snooty customer service."

"What?"

"Dial A for..."

On a more serious note, thanks for heads up about other types of dials.  Learned quite a bit today.

Here is rear view of seller's dial and phone I'd like to put a dial in.  (My intercom project didn't work very well)

Terry if you can find one that would be great.  If you want a trade or anything, I'm trying to downsize.  If anyone interested in WE #2AA with #4 number plate, have a half repro / half authentic candlestick that's in attic.

Thanks for reading!

AE_Collector

Is the dial wanted for that AE 11A (I think....STUB!)?

The phone has the induction coil handset making it a less expensive phone than the AE 1A and would be used in an office/Factory PAX System or in this case in a push button buzzer intercom system. Those were actually made and sold by AE, not some aftermarket manufacturer. I would hesitate a little bit at converting it to a dial though this phone would still be correct with a type 24 or 24A36 dial in it.

Terry

Slal

Have an AE32A14 which is a desk model of this one with a dial of course.  Also franken-phone wall model (Type XX wall phone?)  Am really wishing I had those PDF books.  Maybe time to renew TCI and raid members only library area again.  ; )

Dial for this phone is just for fun but also dialing out occasionally. 

Meanwhile, just for kicks.  Would this work?

Again, it's been a long time, and I don't have the references Stubs was kind enough to point out. 

The shunt spring group looks odd.  The one that gets moved should be in the rear not the middle shouldn't it?  It would work with just one contact?  What would happen if you actually dialed "11" or "A" ?

If not, can be patient if find one in your parts bin.  : )

AE_Collector

I think the contacts look normal on that dial. Do you have it or is it on eBay?

I'm guessing that dialing A would give 11 pulses so most likely the 11th pulse would not be registered and would be interpreted as a 0. But, there is lots of room for variables due to all the different companies and systems that could be programmed to do just about anything if they see 11 pulses..like dump you to reorder tone.

Terry

Slal

Took a chance on it on e-bay. 

Conversation starter & shunt springs will be interesting. 

Might have changed mind about intercom phone though

Somewhere, in hunting around for badge markings & patent info. for a different project, came across member posting photo of really nice looking AE-44 with white on black dial face.  Yours? ; ) 

Long way of saying still interested if you find that dial.  : )

OT question that had me going searching old topics here.

Monophones circa 1936 or whenever they started putting logo on cradle badge.  Did they ever use Monophone ® and AE logo ®

Legit or reproduction?  Had never seen one like that before & curious.   

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 05, 2018, 11:11:29 PM
I think the contacts look normal on that dial. Do you have it or is it on eBay?

I'm guessing that dialing A would give 11 pulses so most likely the 11th pulse would not be registered and would be interpreted as a 0. But, there is lots of room for variables due to all the different companies and systems that could be programmed to do just about anything if they see 11 pulses..like dump you to reorder tone.

Terry
I have a dial like that. It is on a "Collins" 302 with push-to talk F type handset.
This is a metal 302 that is branded "Collins".
From what I understand , the A gave you access into a different network.
I research it a long time ago. ISTR  that Collins Radio was a highway truckers radio network that interfaced radio with telephone.
My Collins phone was probably a dispatch phone.
Just a guess,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.