News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Connecting a PAP2T ATA to C*Net

Started by bellsystem, July 31, 2017, 07:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellsystem

I finally managed to get ahold of an UNLOCKED Linksys PAP2T (ATA). There are so many videos of people with PAP2Ts online that I decided to go with the PAP2T unit, as it seems quite popular compared to the Grandstream units, which were actually selling for a little bit less. It should be arriving within a week. I decided NOT to host myself and go the simple route for now.

a) Is it possible to use C*Net without getting your own number? I'd like to be able to dial into C*Net, but I don't think it's necessary for me to be reachable if that's more configuration
b) Does someone need to "host me" only if I want my own number, or even to get access to C*Net at all?
c) At https://www.ckts.info/ (C*Net website), there's configuration information for people who are hosting themselves. Where can I find the configuration info for ATAs?

Here is my planned setup:
The router is the room next to me, but I DON'T want to run an Ethernet cable under the door and down the hall. There are Ethernet cables running from the router to jacks in the wall. Those jacks run throughout the house. One of them runs to my workstation down there (there's an Ethernet cable plugged from the jack down there into the computer). What I was planning to do is put a switch there, run one cable from that switch to the computer and another to a Powerline RJ45 adapter and plug it in there. Then, plug the other powerline adapter in my bedroom, where all my telephone stuff is, and run an Ethernet cable from that to another switch (a Linksys WRT54G router converted to switch) and then run a cable from that "switch" to the PAP2T. Then connect the PAP2T to a Panasonic PBX, and then connect that PBX to the other PBX that has most of my telephones it. I'll probably have to do some rewiring as I won't be able to keep the PBXs daisychained together (all 3 CO lines) anymore.
So, a lot more complicated than just running an RJ45 cable from the router to the PAP2T, but this should still work just fine.

Thanks all! Can't wait to be dialing in soon!

unbeldi

Communication between C-Net hosts is almost exclusively using the IAX protocol v.2. Last I checked, there were only a handful nodes advertising SIP URIs for some reason.

So, with a SIP ATA, you must have another node hosting your access.
With the RPI and Asterisk, you could run IAX yourself.  In that case you don't actually have to have your system registered and a number block allocated if you don't want to be reached.  Anyone on the Internet can call C*Net nodes if they use the C*Net ENUM resolver, which translates C-Net telephone numbers to IAX dial strings.

bellsystem

Well, I don't mind being reachable, but if it's more configuration then I'd opt not to do that.

Also, I've decided to do other things with my Raspberry Pi. I'm not going to run Asterisk myself, at least for the time being.

Okay, so to have access at all, I need to be hosted? Is there some sort of database of people willing to host, or do I just contact people and ask if they will host me?

Victor Laszlo

A "Powerline RJ45 adapter" is a very bad idea.  Any product that claims to send anything but power over a power line is crap.  Just put a switch at the end of the single ethernet wire.

What fun would C*NET be if you only had the facility to make, rather than to make & receive, calls?  Find someone to host you at first, and they will have blocks of NNX from which to choose. Pick a favorite winning lottery number, or your dog's birthday, or the mileage on your Vespa.  Then get acquainted with programming * and build your own machine.  You can use it to make your own exchange to demonstrate your phone collection.

Some day, you will learn all about the emotional trigger that makes us old guys break out in a rash whenever we see "RJ45" in print.  The combination of terms "Powerline RJ45" makes us break out in a rash, and gives us cold sweats, too.

bellsystem

Well, the reviews on it are good. I already ordered it. I'll see how the performance is anyways; C*Net isn't supposed to be as high quality and reliable and standardized as the PSTN anyways. It's just a fun project.

RJ45 is commonly used as shorthand for Ethernet. I know there's a whole book on why they're not the same thing. It's like saying RJ11 cable instead of telephone cable, although RJ21 is also a telephone cable type.

Again, I have no interest at this time in hosting myself. I will do it in a few years. Just not right now. I'm looking for something simple.

And I did say I was getting a switch - two actually. The Powerline is so I don't have to run a 200 foot cable around the house.

compubit

I use a power line adapter to get from the modem on the second floor to my office in the basement. It works well enough, but you need to ensure that the two plugs can "talk". My older town home has 2 "sides" to the electrical system, and items on one side won't talk to the other side: Insteon controllers, power line networking, power line-based phone jacks. Also, if there are any whole house filters or surge protectors, they will interfere with the power line networking.

As an alternative, you could connect a wireless router in Bridge mode, and it basically becomes a node on the  wireless network with Ethernet output(s). Our interns did that on a project a few summers ago to connect a wired camera on a boat in the bay back to a base station on shore - granted they were using a directional antenna, but it worked for their needs.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

andy1702

I'd forget the powerline and switches for now and get the thing working with simple ethernet cables. The more stuff you add to the system the more difficult it will be to get working and troubleshoot.

You will need someone to host you. They will also be able to help from their end to diagnose faults. Just make sure you choose someone who has their server switched on all the time. Lots of people switch them off, which totally defeats the point of a network like c*net. It doesn't matter where in the world your host is. That makes absolutely no difference.

Is your external IP address static or dynamic? If it's dynamic (which it most likely is) then you will need to point your ATA to a STUN server. This is a remote server (I use one operated by Google) that your ATA contacts periodically and asks "hey, where am I?" The stun server then reads the IP address the message was sent from and tells your ATA what it is. Your ATA then knows it's external IP address and can send that to your C*net host for use when your host gets a call for you that it needs to send to your ATA.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

markosjal

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on July 31, 2017, 07:51:44 PM
A "Powerline RJ45 adapter" is a very bad idea.  Any product that claims to send anything but power over a power line is crap.  Just put a switch at the end of the single ethernet wire...
Not true I use powerline ethernet for streaming HD TV all the time. I even have one VoIP phone connected through one. It works better than Wireless, even the 200 Mbps models. The single biggest problem with them is after a power outage or blip they often need to be unplugged and re-plugged.

The newer 500Mbps models are even better, faster and more robust
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

bellsystem

I got a 200 Mbps adapter only because our Internet speed isn't even that so I didn't see the point in going higher. Also, it was a little cheaper.

I think the whole house may have a surge protector. There is a unit next to the electrical panel. But I think that is for the incoming hot wires, so I don't think it would affect internal to internal communication. By two sides, our electrical panel does have two sides...

I think our IP address is static but I'm not sure. We're IPv4 with NAT obviously. Our public IP address might change periodically but I haven't been keeping track. Whenever I look it up, it always starts with 65 so I just assume it's the same address.

Yeah, I plan to start simple, get it working, and then add the complexity and test it along the way.

Where can I find people to host me? Is there a special list, or do I just ask around?

Also, HOW do I connect the PAP2T to C*Net? It won't magically boot up connected to it. There is nothing at all about configuration in the 30 page owners manual!

TelePlay

Quote from: bellsystem on August 02, 2017, 06:04:07 AM
Where can I find people to host me? Is there a special list, or do I just ask around?

Try this and ask there.

http://lists.ckts.info/mailman/listinfo/voip

bellsystem

Hi John,
I'm already a member of that list. I tried posting something a while back and it never went through to the group. It says that users are "moderated" the first 3-4 times they post, but it looks like nobody ever got around to the "moderating" part. So I've posted, and it doesn't go through to that group. I am receiving emails though from the group.

TelePlay

Quote from: bellsystem on August 02, 2017, 11:54:46 AM
Hi John,
I'm already a member of that list. I tried posting something a while back and it never went through to the group. It says that users are "moderated" the first 3-4 times they post, but it looks like nobody ever got around to the "moderating" part. So I've posted, and it doesn't go through to that group.

Maybe your post was moderated, deleted, in that it did not fit the forum in some way. That's why some boards moderate posts, especially from brand new members, to make sure they are on topic or are make reasonable sense (are uncomplicated and with one specific problem/question) to the forum's mission.

You once said you had a similar experience on another site:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18376.msg189221#msg189221

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on August 02, 2017, 12:25:32 PM
Maybe your post was moderated, deleted, in that it did not fit the forum in some way. That's why some boards moderate posts, especially from brand new members, to make sure they are on topic or are make reasonable sense (are uncomplicated and with one specific problem/question) to the forum's mission.

You once said you had a similar experience on another site:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18376.msg189221#msg189221
Probably not.  Very long moderation delays for new members, where messages do not appear until days later, has been a chronic problem with the CNET list for years and has not improved despite repeated complaints.  The response is always: "there's no paid staff, we're just volunteers".  Effectively it drives new wannabees away.

bellsystem

Yes, I posted another thread, asking if anyone would be willing to host, and it never got sent out. In any case, it seems there are enough people on this site that I'll reach a large enough audience hopefully.

andy1702

I can host you if you like.

As for setting up the PAP2T, you need to plug it into your router then check in your router settings what internal IP address has been assigned to it. Then on your computer type the IP address into the address bar of your browser. This should bring up the log in page of the router. Log into it and then you'll be faced with a few pages that you need settings for. Drop me a PM at that point with your e-mail and I'll send you the settings you'll need.

Another thing I just thought of... Do you have a smart phone? If you do, there is an app called Zoiper which acts as a softphone. That is the easiest way to connect to c*net because there are less settings to put in. C*net calls would then be carried over the phone's data service.

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.