News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

80's Outdoor Bell Payphone Enclosure, what is it!?

Started by ESalter, October 19, 2012, 02:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESalter

Hi Everyone-

I'm trying to acquire this payphone pedestal from "in the wild" but can't seem to find any BSPs on it.  I have the PDF of the 1972 Coin Services Manual, but this style is apparently too recent for '72.  Does anyone happen to have BSPs that cover it that they'd be willing to scan?  Even just a KS number for it would be nice if anyone knows.  It's located in my girlfriend's home town, I first noticed it in 2009 and just recently decided to contact the operating company and try to acquire it.  It's a little rough, but still looks really nice in my opinion.  Thanks!

---Eric

DavePEI

All I can tell you, is it is one of the ADCO 120 Diplomat booth in a similar style to the following:

http://www.islandregister.com/phones/tty2.jpg

I have one ADCO booth in the collection, but a different type,  an interior "ADCO 15 Acousti-Call Compact Shelf":

http://www.islandregister.com/phones/tty3.jpg

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

ESalter

Just a quick update.  A couple weeks ago I posted on the TCI list requesting info and a couple guys had some more ADCO sales sheets.  I still haven't been able to locate any BSPs, so if anyone has any, let me know.

I first contacted the city, a man there looked up what operating company owned this.  I then called the operating company and they said I could have it.  My father-in-law and I removed it on Sunday.  I was expecting a major project, but it was actually pretty easy, we got it loose, loaded in the truck, and the concrete slab cleaned up in under an hour.  I wasn't able to bring it home yet(no room), but will when we visit for Christmas.  When I get it back here I'll post some photos of how it's built since there doesn't seem to be an abundance of info available on them.

---Eric

Phonesrfun

Quote from: ESalter on November 27, 2012, 11:17:46 PM
Just a quick update......and the concrete slab cleaned up in under an hour.  ........

---Eric

You mean to say you took the concrete too??
-Bill G

ESalter

Ha!  No, we didn't take the concrete.  They let me have it on the condition that I cut off the mounting studs and conduit flush with the top of the concrete slab(to eliminate tripping hazards), that's what I meant.  I was expecting it to be difficult to get the studs cut off, but we were able to actually just tap them back down into the concrete and the conduit was thin enough it just snapped off after being hit with a hammer a couple times.

---Eric

gpo706

They GAVE you the booth!

Just shows what a few phone calls can achieve.

Glad its been rescued by someone who appreciates it.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

ESalter

I was quite surprised myself, actually.  It ended up being owned by the same company that gave us the curved door booth in September. (http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7529.0)  I called the guy who gave us that booth, he called his boss, and here we are.  I offered to pay scrap for it, but apparently it wasn't a very big deal.

As you cans see in the pictures I posted of it, this one has some rust, but nothing horrible.  Both glass panels are missing, so I'll need to cut a couple pieces of glass and get some gasket material, but then we should be in pretty good shape.  I even have a nice WE 1C2 to put in it.  The big project is going to be finding a way to mount it.  It won't stand up on its own and I don't really want to bolt it to the floor.  I'll probably make a steel mounting plate to bolt it to just to make the footprint big enough it won't tip over.

---Eric

AE_Collector

We had a bar about 5 or 6 feet long that was similar to a piece of the old galvanized water pipe except it had thicker walls than water pipe. It was just the right size to slip over the threaded studs used to mount a pedestal to concrete. A slight pull to the side of the 'pipe" and the threaded studs just snapped off flush with the concrete. And they weren't wimpy studs either. I was quite impressed at the "lack of technology" used to remove those studs!

Terry

gpo706

Clear glass is a doddle, very fortunate indeed none of the top "PHONE" panels were broken/missing, very lucky the vandals didn't break them.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"