News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found - Wanted: Diaphragm for wood wall phone receiver

Started by countryman, October 23, 2019, 12:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

I'm looking for a 56 mm =  2 3/16 inch diaphragm for the receiver of a wooden wall phone.
As the item can be mailed in a normal envelope,shipping cost should not be too forbidding...
Any help is appreciated. I received 2 wrong diaphragms meanwhile from sellers that obviously neither knew mm nor inches  ???

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on October 23, 2019, 12:55:14 PM
I'm looking for a 56 mm =  2 3/16 inch diaphragm for the receiver of a wooden wall phone.
As the item can be mailed in a normal envelope,shipping cost should not be too forbidding...
Any help is appreciated. I received 2 wrong diaphragms meanwhile from sellers that obviously neither knew mm nor inches  ???

Not a common size it seems - who made the receiver?

I measured a few diaphragms - most are smaller (44, 52, 54 & 55mm) and one was larger (57mm). I don't know who made the larger one or where it came from - which doesn't help much.

One should be OK in the post but it would be a shame if it were bent or dented.

Jack

Western Bell

Standard WE wooden wall phone receiver diameter is 2 3/16"

stevessurplus ships a good repro product, purchased several over the past few years.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183731650420

E1 handset requires smaller diameter, also available from the seller in a separate eBay listing.

"Legal" postage using USPS First Class International mail from the US to Europe is now $9.98 US so if a seller is asking less than $3 US internationally, that is an old rate, as most US sellers now know.

countryman

Thanks for the hints. I never knew it is a problem to mail small goods in normal international letters but had to learn now that also the german post no longer allows this any more. It is required now to pay the steep international parcel rates for anything else than paperwork.
Crazy that I can order tons of small 1 or 2 Euro items from China "shipping included" at the same time.

I'll have to put the diaphragm on my wish list and order it together with other things that justify the shipping cost.

I could not identify the wood wall intercom yet and possibly never will. There are no marks on it except the letters "JJ". The 56 mm size in fact is common, I borrowed one out of a french model 1910 handset to try it in the wood receiver, and it works.

countryman

I don't like over-complicating things.
I now cut a round piece of steel out of the lid of a jar of pickles just useing normal kitchen scissors.
The receiver now does not sound any worse than with the french 1910 diaphragm.
I'll have to grind off the pickle print and paint it black. No one will tell the difference :)