News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Panasonic 308 vs. 616 vs ? is there another choice?

Started by recyklotron, June 18, 2013, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recyklotron

Greetings,
   I would like to be able to test my phones both for ringing & for sound quality. We don't have cell phones & I have pretty much worn out my welcome with having friends call to test the ringers. I have read  these Panasonic posts with interest & would like to know if the Panasonic is the only way to go & is the 616 better than a 308 other than the amount lines!. My needs are small - only a 3 room condo so even if I eventually create an intercom system I don't think we'll ever need more than 4 phones. There isn't really space to display more than 1/2 a dozen phones anyway. So is there another choice other than the Panasonic. I really like the idea of not having to be connected to the outside phone line to test phones.
     Thanks everyone,
               Jonathan

Phonesrfun

For testing ringing, you could get a 116A frequency generator, which is the component that creates ringing current in smaller 1A2 key systems.  Those can often times be got from ebay for not much money.  You would still need a battery feed for testing the touch tone dila.

They do make phone analyzers, but they will usually cost more than your average 308 or 616.  The two different PBX's, the 308 and the 616, while somewhat different, are pretty much the same except for the number of lines.  There are other makers of these hybrid PBX's, but Panasonic sold so many that they are a good deal compared to, say the AT&T Partner system.
-Bill G

Weco355aman

HI
Having a Panasonic phone system is like having your own Telco.
You do not need a outside line to make it work. Think of it a motel phone system, you can call from room to room without using a outside line, or you can call the front desk by dialing 0. Or if you do need to place a call you dial 9 for trunk access. As a former vendor of phone systems your best choice is a Panasonic 308/616 system. The Trunks and extentions are all RJ11 jacks.
no special cables or connecting blocks needed. The system provide a 400HZ
dial tone. It can ring 302/500 type phones without any troubles.
If you want to change the programing you would need a kxt 7030 display phone.
These systems are great for home PBX systems. or phone display systems.
Phil

TelePlay

There is also a Teltone 4 (or 5) that is a POTS simulator. It handles up to 4 phones and can be programmed with any kind of touch tone phone. They have gone up in price over the past few years and I don't know if they are made for 24/7 use. You can google or search eBay for them to read more. I have a few of them and use them for ringing phones on stage for live theatrical performances. I also have 2 Panasonic 616s which do the same but haven't gotten into programming them yet to see if they can do everything the Teltone 4s can do. Seems if hooked to an outside line would only leave 3 ports for home phones. Here is one on eBay for example. I got mine for 1/2 to 1/4 of what they want for this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130874513256

Edit: I think the Teltone is best suited for demonstrating telephones and not 24/7 use. It's great for stage use in that the cadence can be programmed for US 2-4 or a shortened US 2-2 or the European ring cadence. You can also program numbers so people dialing on stage can be made to look like they are dialing a real number, 4 digits works well, rather than just 2. The Panasonic PBX units would be better for what you want or need for both testing and intercom use. Make sure you get one with the RJ-11 plugs and not a punch down block. Another nice feature is that if one of the 16 lines "goes down or out" on a 616, you have others to use. One failing on a Teltone 4 is a major problem. A 308 has half the lines but should work well for you if you only plan to have 4 phones on the system. Don't see those as much, though. Seems like a lot of people are pulling 616s out of service right now so they are plentiful (so to speak) and reasonably priced. They are tough and the only question of an eBay buy is if it is fully functional and is packed well enough to make the trip. Hope this helps.

twocvbloke

Another choice? Maybe, but, the Panasonics are pretty much out-of-the-box systems, just connect it up, plug it in, and off you go, right out of the box... :D

As mentioned, it's all RJ11 jacks, unlike others which often use IDC connections, which gets fiddly and if it's not done right can result in poor performance, and if using it for testing phones, you can just connect them up directly to the system... :)

The other thing is, unlike a lot of other phone systems of the same age, there's a lot of info and unofficial support for them about (such as manuals, tips & tricks, etc.), so you're in safe hands when you get either the 308 or 616, if there's an issue with it, just ask here and there'll be an answer in no time... :)

recyklotron

Thanks guys,
you KNOW I want a 616! I've been trying to be conservative as space here is at a premium .   Any pics or links to show the RJ11 vs a punchdown block would be appreciated. I have looked at some Panasonics on eBay & they don't always show the inside - what do I ask the seller for? Do the Panasonics get plugged into a wall socket?  The Teltone looks more compact but is way out of my price range.

Jonathan

twocvbloke

Quote from: recyklotron on June 19, 2013, 10:23:56 AMAny pics or links to show the RJ11 vs a punchdown block would be appreciated.

Well, the various systems have different layouts for their IDC terminals, but basically they're usually composed of Krone type terminals or similar... :)

Below are pics of my 616, my Nortel's connection box and a BT Inspiration system (I think it's a digital version of the Revelation system, the Revelation being analogue which will accept analogue phones)... :)

(Inspiration pic borrowed from http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/systems.htm )

HarrySmith

I have not looked at eBay since I got mine but there is one available near me. I think it is kinda high at $100.00 but if you are interested I can contact the owner to see if we can make an offer on it. I would be willing to pick it up, pack it properly and ship it to you.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

I use a Panasonic 616 and I love it.  Janet found an ATT Partner 2 by 6. Very cool. Takes rotary or touchtone single lines as well as the ATT desk phones. I am open to offers for it, tested and working....Doug
Kidphone