News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Garbage Picked Wall Phone - Updated Kellogg Magneto Wall Phone

Started by Arthur Kill, May 23, 2017, 04:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur Kill

I recently "garbage picked" this antique wooden wall phone.

It's a really cool piece but I have no idea what the make, model or value is?  I have zero expertise in this field, nor do any of my friends, neighbors or colleagues.

So, I would like to ask the experts here to see if anyone can provide some info. 

I am especially interested in it's age.

I can supply more and/or specific pictures upon request.

Thank you in advance.

TelePlay

First of all, welcome to the forum, the best place in the world for getting your questions answered.

Nice find. Seems most of the parts are there, the wood phone experts will help there, so well worth the price, free.

Arthur Kill

Quote from: TelePlay on May 23, 2017, 04:37:57 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum, the best place in the world for getting your questions answered.

Nice find. Seems most of the parts are there, the wood phone experts will help there, so well worth the price, free.

Thank you sir for the welcome!

I'm very happy to be here!

:)

Babybearjs

what did you pay for it? they normally are around $250.00-$500.00 depending on where you find it... what kind of deal did you get?
John

wds

A lot of the parts look like Kellogg.  I think the transmitter mount is Western Electric.  Don't recognize the magneto.  A phone assembled at an independent shop out of spare parts?  Quite an interesting phone. 
Dave

Arthur Kill

Quote from: Babybearjs on May 23, 2017, 06:04:23 PM
what did you pay for it? they normally are around $250.00-$500.00 depending on where you find it... what kind of deal did you get?

Nothing.

I "garbage picked" it. 

Took it from the top of a bulk trash pile in front of a home that was recently sold near my home just outside of New York City.  Is it really worth that much?

:o

Arthur Kill

Quote from: wds on May 23, 2017, 06:58:45 PM
A lot of the parts look like Kellogg.  I think the transmitter mount is Western Electric.  Don't recognize the magneto.  A phone assembled at an independent shop out of spare parts?  Quite an interesting phone.

From looking at pictures on the 'net, I did land on Kellogg more times that not.  But never found an exact match. 

The size/placement of the rectangular router design on the face of the phone was most often found on the Kellogg brand but the mouth-piece didn't match any of them.  Nor did the tablet supports.

Never even considered "independent shop out of spare parts" but but I think you're on to something. 

Did that happen a lot?

???

Sargeguy

I would say it is worth about $75-100. As stated earlier this looks like a mixture of parts.  These are usually worth the sum of their parts.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Is that a 6-bar magneto?  Even more reason to sell the parts separately.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Arthur Kill

Quote from: Sargeguy on May 23, 2017, 08:49:54 PM
Is that a 6-bar magneto?  Even more reason to sell the parts separately.

Do you suppose someone put this together as an antique or "in it's time" to use as a functioning phone?

How old does it appear to be?

:-\

wds

To me it looks like a 4 bar magneto, with come kind of cover over the two pairs.
Dave

Arthur Kill

Quote from: wds on May 23, 2017, 09:23:42 PM
To me it looks like a 4 bar magneto, with come kind of cover over the two pairs.

That is exactly correct.

Does that give you a lead as to make, model and/or age?

Alex G. Bell

Look for unused screw holes in the wood around or even under existing mounted parts.  If the phone was originally "pure bred" by a single mfr and parts were replaced over time with parts from other mfrs there are likely to be unused holes from the original screws since different mfrs' parts rarely have the same mounting centers. 

Also look for ID #s impressed into the back or edges of the cabinet.  They may be very hard to see except with bright light.

A number of the parts look Kellogg to me: method of securing the cabinet closed, switchhook, induction coil, receiver.  Transmitter mount is WECo but transmitter Kellogg or Stromberg-Carlson (not sure from that angle). 

Ringer photo is not good enough from a single angle.  But below is a link within the TCI site where you will find a slew of Kellogg catalogs showing their components and should be able to make positive ID of the ringer, magneto and perhaps the over-all phone and determine whether the Kellogg transmitter bracket had a smaller footprint so that its original screws would be hidden behind the WECo one.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/strombergcarlson/kellogg/kellogg_main.htm

wds

The coil and probably the condenser looks like Kellogg.  There is a shelf missing right where the magneto is.  I don't think I've ever seen a Kellogg magneto mount from the back like that one - maybe a holzter cabot?  Also, (hard to tell from the pictures) but it looks like a hole was plugged above the crank handle - probably the magneto sat on the missing shelf and the crank handle was  6-8" higher than it currently is?  It still looks to me like a mish mash of parts. 
Dave

Sargeguy

The age is late for that type of phone, around 1940 or so.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409