News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Rat Rod Panel Phone - not mine
Last post by HarrySmith - Today at 08:20:58 AM
While browsing through an auction for a car collection I saw this interesting rat rod truck. It has three 6 cylinder engines which is what caught my eye. I noticed in the interior pictures there is a panel phone mounted behind the drivers seat. Pretty wild ;D

https://vanderbrinkauction.proxibid.com/Crazy-1930-s-Ford-Rat-Rod-Truck/lotInformation/71644049
General Discussion / Re: old Danish phone
Last post by dsk - Today at 02:05:12 AM
Without the diode, capacitor, resistor it works, but with, it does not break dial tone when those components are in the circuit? You are sure that the resistor is 15.000 ohms? (or more) Disconnect the resistor only, and test again. (The counter will not work, but you should break the dial tone) If it breaks the dial tone try higher resistance. The charging time will probably increase but if you get it working :)
Collector's Corner / Re: Mahogany Brown 500 New in ...
Last post by Stormcrash - Today at 12:21:01 AM
Thanks! At this point the plan is to leave the dial packet sealed and will source a different dial center for when I want to display or use it. I will definitely keep the twine as well, though I probably will have to take it off the cord for display or use

Yeah I didn't get a picture due to moving but I had it side by side with an ITT Cocoa Brown 500 from the 80s and agree that the mahogany is much richer and nicer. I like the cocoa/chocolate color normally but next to the mahogany it looks dull washed out. I would say that mahogany looks darker though and agree when people say it can appear almost black under low light
Collector's Corner / Re: Yellow Stromberg-Carlson 2...
Last post by Stormcrash - Today at 12:15:41 AM
Very nice looking phone! Stromberg seems to have usually stuck much more closely to the Bell standard design than ITT did
Find of the Month / Find of the month October 2022
Last post by Jim Stettler - Yesterday at 10:19:50 PM
Please review the overview for FOTM before nominating a phone'.
This helps keep the contest fair and consistent for everyone.

______________________________________________________________________________________________-

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it. Other than that, any discussion of or comments about the nominated phone are not allowed, FOTM nominations only. As stated below, "Ideally your item would be (first) posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum" and if so, "the forum link if discussed in another topic" is to be included in the nomination reply.

If a significant discussion of a nominated phone starts in a FOTM topic, it will be moved to a new "discussion" topic in the appropriate board and if not, then simply removed.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Shall Include:

1) where and/or how the item was found.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) the forum link to the topic discussing the find.
4) the eBay link if won there.
5) other information of importance about the find (why the item is very important to you for any reason).
6) and one or two pictures of the item.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include limited multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:

--> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:

--> Photo Album <--

Jim S.
QUICK EDIT
MORE...
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.
Clocks & Fans / Self Winding Clock Company hou...
Last post by cornell9 - Yesterday at 05:31:08 PM
Self Winding Clock Company hourly time synchronization using ESP8266 ESP-12E and a relay

The Self Winding Clock Company clocks received an hourly synchronization signal from the telegraph lines.

This project enables the clock to synchronize the time over Wi-Fi every hour from a server on the internet.

The Arduino IDE code can be found here: https://github.com/ModelFKeyboard/Self-Winding-Clock-Company-hourly-time-synchronization

Thanks to all those who helped with this project.

Hardware parts (approximate pricing):
$6 2 D batteries and D battery holder - can last 18 months. Connect to the 2 screw terminals on the left side of the clock movement - powers the winding every hour.

$6 USB-A phone charger with USB-A to micro-USB wire for easy ESP8266 programming

$6 USB-A male to USB-A female extension cable

$3 CE009 DC-DC Buck Converter USB Power Module 5V to 3.3V Step-Down Regulator Module https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PHX7L49

$6 ESP8266 NodeMCU CP2102 ESP-12E Development Board https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081CSJV2V

$3 3V Relay Power Switch Board, Icstation 1 Channel Optocoupler Module Opto Isolation High Level Trigger for IOT ESP8266 Development Board https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0E6SQM

Total cost: ~$30

Hardware steps:
Wire 3v3 on ESP8266 board to VCC on the relay, GND on ESP8266 to GND on relay, and D1 on ESP8266 to IN on relay

Wire GND on buck converter to one of the 2 solenoid connectors on the Self Winding Clock, 3.3v on buck converter to COM on relay, and NO on relay to the other solenoid connector on the Self Winding Clock. In my testing, the ESP8266 ESP-12E could not pass through the ~250ma of power needed to power the solenoid so that is why the power needs to be wired as noted above.

For programming: connect computer-->micro USB cable-->ESP8266 board-->3.3v relay-->solenoid on the clock

Final setup: Connect wall outlet charger-->extension cable-->buck converter-->ESP8266 board-->3.3v relay-->solenoid on the clock Warning - mains voltages are dangerous and potentially lethal, be careful.

Software/firmware steps:
Download the Arduino IDE, the latest version.
Install the IDE
Set up your Arduino IDE as: Go to File->Preferences and copy the URL below to get the ESP board manager extensions: https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/releases/download/3.0.2/package_esp8266com_index.json
go to this webpage: https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/releases/

and look at what the current version is and then replace the 3.0.2 part with the newest current version number.

Save that, and restart the Arduino IDE.

Go to Tools > Board > Board Manager> Type "esp8266" and download the Community esp8266 and install.

Set up your chip as: Tools -> Board -> NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module) Tools -> Flash Size -> 4M (3M SPIFFS) Tools -> CPU Frequency -> 80 Mhz Tools -> Upload Speed -> 921600 Tools-->Port--> (whatever it is)

Test the setup: Go to FILE> EXAMPLES> ESP8266> BLINK, and flash this firmware, it will start blinking.

To load a library for a project, click Tools - Manage Libraries - (or click the book icon on the left) - search for ntpclient by fabrice weinberg and click install - this one is needed for the self winding clock project. Set the wifi user name and password in the code as well

Load the code shown on the other page into the Arduino IDE program. Update the wifi details with your own details, and update the minute that you would like the synchronization lever to operate. In my Self Winding Clock, the synchronization lever brings the clock to the 59 minute mark, not the exact top of the hour 00 minute mark, so the code says to operate the sync lever at the 59 minute mark of each hour. You can also update the time offset from GMT in seconds (-14400 in my case).

After flashing the project's firmware, click serial monitor window in the arduino IDE to confirm the time is accurate. It will display the updated time with one new line per second.
My Telephone Collection / Re: FAB’s Phone Den
Last post by RDPipes - Yesterday at 04:56:06 PM
Quote from: countryman on Yesterday at 02:04:33 PMI have found a couple of very interesting (to me at least) objects over the time at quite affordable cost. I would not say this is a hobby of any specific income class.
Well, I certainly can't afford it. There was a time I may have but, not anymore.
General Discussion / Re: old Danish phone
Last post by long jumper - Yesterday at 02:40:24 PM

Switched both sets of wires from pulsing contact to shunt contact no dial tone.wired back as originally wired. dialed out transmits received and rings. Put resistor capacitor back in circuit let charge 5 min dialed 1st digit counter Clapper pulled in and released as it should but did not break  dial tone. I have checked every wire matches diagram. Does anyone think another component should be added somewhere else ?
My Telephone Collection / Re: FAB’s Phone Den
Last post by countryman - Yesterday at 02:04:33 PM
I have found a couple of very interesting (to me at least) objects over the time at quite affordable cost. I would not say this is a hobby of any specific income class.
Quote from: RDPipes on Yesterday at 09:33:22 AMWell Doug, I'm assuming the phone worked at one point and everything looks original but, I don't know how a photo will help you wire it up when wires cross over each other and some are even hidden from view.
I can certainly draw you a diagram of how it's hooked up but, there's are schematics/diagrams out there that will do the same sir like this one.
thanks Ron...perfect!....Doug