News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Phone ID and correct handset
Last post by RB - November 27, 2022, 06:31:36 PM
Hi all
Got this wedgie phone, and forgot the model.
Also, can someone tell me the correct handset, and where to find one.
Thanks
The suede feet on the bottom suggest that the base is from the 1950s.  You should be able to find plenty of WE 500s for cheap.  Tens of millions were made, and there is very little demand for them now.  I am sure that there are some forum members who could sell you a 500 for cheap.

Larry
Dials & Touchtone Pads / How were 4H dials made?
Last post by Bill - November 27, 2022, 06:10:24 PM
I looked for this info - didn't find it. Apologies if this has been answered.
- - -
I know that quite often, 4H dials were simply reworked number 2 dials. But were there any 4H dials that were originally manufactured as such, and not as #2 refurbs? If so, when were they made? And when I find a 4H dial, how do I tell if it is a refurb #2, or a newly-made 4H dial, other than the filled-in screw holes for the fingerstop?

Thanks

Bill
Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: Help in Wiring a Western E...
Last post by FABphones - November 27, 2022, 06:08:13 PM
Could you add a photo of the front of phone?
 :)
Last post by paul-f - November 27, 2022, 06:03:44 PM
Quote from: RDPipes on November 27, 2022, 04:35:35 PMThe frayed wire on the "W" of the #6 dial is where the handset wire (white) that is connected to the "Y" of the dial is suppose to be and the cut off hook switch wire should be on the "Y" where the handset wire (white) is now.

From the diagram posted here http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?msg=259834

Two wires go from the hookswitch to dial -- to terminals marked BB and Y.

The handset W wire goes to W on the dial.
Diagram Requests / Re: Wanted: Wiring Diagram for...
Last post by RDPipes - November 27, 2022, 05:36:20 PM
Quote from: paul-f on November 27, 2022, 04:57:13 PMHere's a relevant extract from the BSP referenced above that includes wires from the hookswitch to dial.

It helps to draw vertical lines between the component names on the top line to see which terminals belong with each component.
Yes, same one I have. You have to understand how my mind works, everything here looks backwards in comparison
which easily confuses me. My mind works differently then others to put it simply.
Auction Talk / Re: eBay's Trying to Fix What ...
Last post by TelePlay - November 27, 2022, 05:14:55 PM
Quote from: countryman on November 27, 2022, 10:59:37 AMIn real life, often no valid records will be available to prove the purchase price. The question is, was it a personal item or an item you owned as marketable good?

I don't see a distinction. If extra money is added to all normal and usual sources of income in ones bank accounts, the source of that extra money has to be reported somewhere on a tax return and I've never seen a box to check that declared some extra money as personal or from a business/hobby, such as flipping phones for big bucks. All extra income is normally reported on a Schedule C with or without a 1099 being issued - the 1099 just makes the reporting a requirement instead of depending on the honesty of the tax filer.
Diagram Requests / Re: Wanted: Wiring Diagram for...
Last post by paul-f - November 27, 2022, 04:57:13 PM
Quote from: RDPipes on November 27, 2022, 03:37:26 PM... I tried using a basic one for a 302 just looking at the Ind, Hks, DL and Cond. but that won't work.

Here's a relevant extract from the BSP referenced above that includes wires from the hookswitch to dial.

It helps to draw vertical lines between the component names on the top line to see which terminals belong with each component.
Last post by RDPipes - November 27, 2022, 04:35:35 PM
I think I just figured it out, someone has had their busy little fingers in here.
The frayed wire on the "W" of the #6 dial is where the handset wire (white) that is connected to the "Y" of the dial is suppose to be and the cut off hook switch wire should be on the "Y" where the handset wire (white) is now. Someone has the dial wired like its a #5H instead of a #6 which it is, at least that's what I think. Can anyone confirm? Handset cord may have been replaced by a novice, they screwed up, couldn't getting working and quit. At least I'm hoping that, LOL! I need to replace the hook-switch so I wanna make sure I got this right before hand.
Telephone Component Identification / Re: Is this 500C/D from Januar...
Last post by AliceWonder - November 27, 2022, 04:29:11 PM
Okay thanks.