News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Decorator, Reproduction & Novelty Phones / Winnie the pooh telephone
Last post by Contempra - January 26, 2023, 09:39:41 AM
Hi guys, a friend gave me this phone that works on 'PULSE' and 'TONE'. Unfortunately it is only functional on 'PULSE' and not on 'tone'. I have cleaned the 'switch' 'pulse-tone', but no, it only works on pulse. If any of you think you know the problem, can you let me know? Thanks in advance .
Well , the video is only for information, but which proves that it is also possible for a phone with a 3D printer
Yes sir, kleenax does some fine casting work and having that equipment to cast is imperative and will serve many uses but, to purchase it to just to repair cracks is just waaaay out of my pocket books reach. And I understand recording the preserving techniques of the disappearing items of history , heck I still haven't thrown that busted ivory 302 shell away, just can't bring myself to it, LOL! Its just knowing when it should be done and when it will cost more then its worth. I won't put a $100 of labor into a $5 item no matter how old it is. I feel it best it stay as is as many museums do for probably some of the same reasons.
But, yes I do understand all the view points.     
Quote from: RDPipes on January 26, 2023, 05:49:46 AMYou all must have much more disposable cash then I have to purchase vacuum chambers, pumps, etc. just to repair a crack?

It's not for everyone.

The use of this equipment to help nicely repair a crack is secondary to the first intention, the casting of parts such as kleenax does to produce clear and colored 302s and other models.

Crack repair is very similar to casting a complete housing or handset in that micro air bubbles must be removed before the plastic sets.

The equipment is not cheap, or that expensive if one is truly interested in that aspect of the hobby (about the same as a good buffer, paint booth or light box set up) and enjoys being creative in making or fixing plastic/resin stuff.

The forum exists to share "how to" or "how it's done" information in case there is someone out there who wants to learn more a technique or procedure to expand their knowledge base and I encourage anyone with the interest and the means to do so.

It's not for everyone but it's great to find out how it's done, and what it costs to do it, if one is interested in that part of the hobby.

A casting example:

Quote from: RDPipes on January 26, 2023, 05:49:46 AM...Here's an idea, "Don't buy phones with Cracks"...

Absolutely.

But unfortunately, as time goes by more and more phones and other historical pieces become damaged or lost forever. We need our restauration processes to be documented, perfected, passed on and built upon.
In all fields, not just telephony.

:(
Quote from: tubaman on January 26, 2023, 06:07:23 AMI get what you are saying but American phones are few and far between in the UK and EU, especially something like a rose 302. We can of course purchase from the USA but you then have to pay large shipping fees and import duty on top which add considerably to the price.
 :)
Oh I completely understand, I was referring to really us guys on this side of the pond.
I know how hard it is for you all to get our phones and us yours.
Quote from: RDPipes on January 26, 2023, 05:49:46 AM... Here's an idea, "Don't buy phones with Cracks". ...

I get what you are saying but American phones are few and far between in the UK and EU, especially something like a rose 302. We can of course purchase from the USA but you then have to pay large shipping fees and import duty on top which add considerably to the price.
 :)
You all must have much more disposable cash then I have to purchase vacuum chambers, pumps, etc. just to repair a crack? Here's an idea, "Don't buy phones with Cracks". As said before, I consider this waaaaay to much effort to repair a crack. But of course if you have that much time and extra money on yours hands you could make a Tax deductible donation to me.  ;D
Quote...FABphones can add if a vacuum or pressure chamber would be best to remove solvent evaporation bubbles from the solvent melted plastics as it reset, the solvent evaporated.

I use a Vacuum Chamber for this type of repair. The tricky part is the small amount of working material involved. Much easier to work with larger volumes. The smaller repairs I have made without using the chamber do show fine 'bubbles'. These in turn can attract grime the same as the initial crack itself does (as mentioned above by Teleplay), which is difficult to remove,

What material are these 302 phones made from, does it react to Acetone?

Edited to add image of a vacuum chamber similar to the one I have.
Price dependant on size.
General Discussion / Re: Dial a Disc anyone?
Last post by FABphones - January 26, 2023, 01:57:43 AM
Close up of a Dial-A-Disc rack 'DADRACk' 1967.

(Internet photo, Post Office Telecoms)