News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 103: Stromberg-Carlson Tapered Shaft "Oil Can" Candlestick

Started by TelePlay, September 21, 2013, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Sticking with a stick, just listed on eBay is this turn of the century Stromberg-Carlson desk set with marked transmitter in need of some work and parts.

This phone started at $199.99 and in less than 2 hours, reached $355.00 after 5 bids by 3 bidders. It is another 7 day auction so it will end next Saturday. Looking at the contest rules, I found nothing about running three sticks in a row.  ;)

The seller listed it as an "Old Antique Vintage Stromberg Carlson Candle Stick Telephone Parts or Restore" with thhe item condition as "Used" and states "Up for your consideration is this Antique Stromberg Carlson Telephone. It has "Pat Sep 10.95-Sep.8.96" printed, so I am assuming it is from 1896. It consists of metal and weighs a relatively heavy 4 Lbs 3 Oz. The earpiece holder moves up and down nicely as the spring is still tight. It measures about 11 1/4" tall. This would be great for restoration or to display for yourself or as a gift. Please refer to the pictures for cosmetic condition as they are an accurate representation.".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231059662216

Again, you can find a similar candlestick and over 190 other rare candlesticks from that time period at the ->Old Telephones<- website. They don't list values so you are on your own when taking a guess at what the 103rd phone in our Auction Contest section will end up selling for when the bidding ends on September 28th.

Still another chance to either move up a rung or to get onto the -> Contest Standings <- list, you have to play to win!

New members on the forum are always very welcome and encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. The last contest saw members guessing quicly about 5% from each other and splitting the difference in some cases making it difficult for late contest entrants to get the number they may have wanted as their guess. It does pay to get your guess in early if you know the selling price. I will be watching guesses and helping members as the contest progresses to prevent crowding under Rule #3. With that said, have at it . . .

If you want to check out all of the phones that have been in past Auction Contests, click -> HERE <-.

S C O R E B O A R D

$   550.00 - poplar1  ( 1 )
$   600.00 - Sargeguy  ( 7 )  -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $685.99
$   807.00 - AE_Collector  ( 9* )
$   897.32 - TelePlay  ( 11 )
$   987.65 - Russ Kirk  ( 2 )
$1,036.69 - Dan  ( 12 )
$1,122.00 - tallguy58  ( 10 )
$1,250.00 - Kenton K  ( 8 )
$1,325.01 - HarrySmith  ( 13 )
$1,475.00 - kleinkaliber  ( 6 )
$1,750.00 - wds  ( 3 )
$2,375.00 - southernphoneman  ( 5 )
$2,500.00 - WesternElectricBen  ( 4 )

Early Morning Auction Status Changes

9-21-13   Listed   $  199.99
9-22-13   6 bids   $  365.00
9-23-13   7 bids   $  375.00
9-24-13  12 bids  $  635.33 , , , ,
9-28-13   7 bidders, 13 bids $685.99  Ended at 14:52:56 PDT

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

wds

$1750.  Seems like these have been getting some very high prices lately.
Dave

AE_Collector

Sargeguy

$600

These are relatively common, and this one is missing the receiver and needs some work.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenton K

AE_Collector

As a reminder that votes CAN be changed, and to keep TelePlay busy, I am chopping my guess in half to $807. I think Sarge is right, these aren't "that" rare.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 22, 2013, 08:31:44 PM
As a reminder that votes CAN be changed, and to keep TelePlay busy, I am chopping my guess in half to $807. I think Sarge is right, these aren't "that" rare.

Terry

Yes they can, Terry, but not with less than two days to go before the auction ends, Rule #3 would still be in effect and an "*" would be applied for my end of the contest updating.

And, so as not to be missed, changing a guess by way of using a new post is mandatory (my rule so it won't get lost) because there is no way to check a prior post for a guess edit without having an Eidetic Memory, and I don't!

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright