"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Slal's (Bruce's) Phone Gallery

Started by Slal, May 02, 2014, 01:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Hi everyone,

Work in progress.  Let's find out if attachments clip on right hand side.  Read somewhere that maximum width here is 600 pixels and they align left.  So... a 1000 pixel photo would get cropped. 

dimensions: 1000 x 750 dpi ;  Resolution 72 ; RGB 8bit ; PS10.0.01 auto-level 'enhance per channel contrast'

Also interested if Photoshop's default 'optimize for web' works as it should.  Think Adobe is up to CS6 now.  I can't afford all their semi-annual upgrades.  Using ancient CS3 from 2005. ; )

thx

--Bruce

Mr. Bones

Bruce,
     Having just tried, the arrows do, indeed, seem unresponsive to my clicks. Might be a failing on my machinery / OS / etc., as well.

That being said, for posterity's sake, it is generally considered better to host your pictures here, on the forum.

There is no cap on posted media, and that way, since this is considered to be a historical, archival source of knowledge, they will not disappear when the photobucket account does, assuring that future generations of telephone collectors have access to the information, and relevant photographs posted.

Nice collection, and my best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Slal

Quote from: Mr. Bones on May 02, 2014, 04:20:45 PM
Bruce,
     Having just tried, the arrows do, indeed, seem unresponsive to my clicks. Might be a failing on my machinery / OS / etc., as well.

That being said, for posterity's sake, it is generally considered better to host your pictures here, on the forum.

There is no cap on posted media, and that way, since this is considered to be a historical, archival source of knowledge, they will not disappear when the photobucket account does, assuring that future generations of telephone collectors have access to the information, and relevant photographs posted.

Nice collection, and my best regards!

Thanks for the kind words & input (not being able to scroll through gallery.) 

I also looked for cookie & LSO from photobucket.  Both are there & LSO has ridiculous expiration date.  Members might not appreciate that. 

Attachments it is then.

thx

--Bruce

PS:  If have time, appreciate input on 'gamma' or how dark or washed out photos look to other members.  Photographing black along with reflective things like celluloid dial card covers can be a challenge.

Slal

How I describe the phones might also be interesting if attachments always show at the bottom.  Part two of exercise & rest of photos.

Edit: Removing ones I don't have anymore.

WesternElectricBen

Wow, Bruce, those are some spectacular phones! I really like how they are setup to function also.

Ben

stub

Bruce,
          NICE bunch of phones there!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

persido

Great photos, nice telephones........Scot

Dennis Markham

Nice phones, Bruce!  Nice photos too.  I also like the surroundings.....like the fan.  What type of receiver is that, Marantz?

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 03, 2014, 01:00:38 PM
Nice phones, Bruce!  Nice photos too.  I also like the surroundings.....like the fan.  What type of receiver is that, Marantz?
I was wondering the same, having had Marantz gear back 'in the day'. This would be older
than mine, having a separate amplifier, and receiver. Betcha money, like all Marantz gear, it ROCKS the house!

Can't begin to tell you about how many sets of speakers I blew up, 'testing' them. Usually "Children of the Sun", by Billy Thorpe, "Bridge of Sighs", by Robin Trower, or summat... for some reason, CotS seemed to deal diabolical death blows to otherwise, healthy-seeming speakers... ??? Once I got older (And quite tired of buying speakers, btw) :o, I switched to Bose. Problem solved. 8)

I also very much enjoyed the surroundings; reminds me very much of home... everything here is old, functional, and exponentially better than the carp sold today, or even for the last several decades. ;)
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Slal

Thanks for replies & compliments.  Did try to photograph phones 'in their environment' rather than just shoot against a white backdrop or something. 

Restoring and selling reel to reel tape decks, amps, and receivers from late 60's to late 70's is how I support my collecting 'habit' btw. ; )

Here's shot of the rest of a system have kept for myself.  Phone is *not* plugged in while listening to music. 

Has an interesting dial card though.  Reads, "WDAY Studio Line."  Have no idea whether it's real or a fakery, but looks nice on top of tuner & kids like it.  (Explained about something called "The Radio" and calling up a "Disk Jockey" to request he play a *vinyl record* so people could record it.)  They think it's 'cool' now to have an "old school" telephone back before people had music & video on demand.  And it has all these *cords* & 'stuff' in the back of it. 

"Thought you said it was WiFi !"

"Hi-Fi... Not WiFi."

They're priceless.

thx

--Bruce     

AE_Collector

I was going to ask "Sansui"? But I guess they all look fairly similar from the era.

My daily driver is a Sansui 881 from the early 70's. I bought it new.

Like the AE's too!

Terry

zaphod01

That reel-to-reel really brought back memories. I ordered a couple of nice ones while in Vietnam and had them shipped directly home. Wish I still had them. Nothing quite like Black Sabbath at 15 inches per second.

As I recall, 8-tracks were only 3.75 inches per second and cassettes were half of that. Dreadful compared to a reel-to-reel at 15 IPS.

Youth is wasted on the young...
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

WesternElectricBen

Those pieces sure are more reliable compared to stuff of today. Although, there has been changes in audio technology, for an average consumer, I don't see why an old piece wouldn't work for them... Okay, I see one reason, no iPod hookup.

Ben

paul-f

Nice tape deck, Bruce.

I still have two working tape decks, and love the reaction they get from visitors - not to mention the sound.

Rather than hijack this topic, I created another for us to post tape deck photos...
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11799.0
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Slal

Sansui is what got me into electronics (with the help of some good people at a hi-fi forum.)

My Dad was in Vietnam in 1968-1969.  He bought a Sansui 2000, a Teac 1040A, and some AR speakers in Hong Kong. In 2005, learned my Mom was going to sit the receiver out on the curb. (She'd already given the tape deck away when it probably just needed a belt...Oh well.)

Anyway, here it is.  45 Years old now and it can still beat most of the 'disposable' electronics out there (imho.) 

Need to find some lamps for AM/FM 'dial.'

And speaking of dials.

What would be a good phone from 1969 to go with it?  AE-80 or a WE 500?

thx

--Bruce

PS:  i-pod is question I get asked quite a bit.  RCA to mini into an 'Aux' jack and in business.  Might not *sound* as good as tape from an open reel, but i-pod is point access and even has reel to reel beat when it comes to storage.