"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help wiring up a candlestick phone

Started by eagle, March 13, 2022, 01:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle

Hi, all.

New forum member, and this is my first post, so I hope I'm able to post pics.  About a year and a half ago, my wife was on a weekend trip with a friend; while there, they went to a bunch of antique stores, and my wife found this candlestick phone in an antique store, so she bought it. (She also found two 500 sets in colors I have never had or seen in real life, red and orange, so she bought those too.)

Anyway, I recently picked up a network, bell box, and wires, and I want to get this thing wired up, and I could use some guidance in how to do this.

I can figure out some of this, but I'm not sure what to do with some of this.

I'm sure I'll learn a lot as I go through this process, but right now I'm starting at basically zero knowledge here.

Anybody got any tips or guidance for me?

Thanks so much.

Jim Stettler

Welcome to the forum,
Here is a link to a wiring diagram for a mini network. In this case, it was wired  to a brass candlestick.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24861.msg245927#msg245927

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have used jumpers with alligator clips when I experimented with telephone wiring.
First I got it working right while  spread out on the bench, then I would assemble it in the phone.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

eagle

Thanks, Jim!

So, newbie question: if I wire this up wrong, am I going to destroy anything (like my Linksys PAP2)? :)

I'm hoping to take some time this week to do this.  I really want to see this thing working!

Almost all of my other phones work, and I really want a working candlestick.  I'm so close!

Jim Stettler

Quote from: eagle on March 13, 2022, 03:20:32 PM
Thanks, Jim!

So, newbie question: if I wire this up wrong, am I going to destroy anything (like my Linksys PAP2)? :)

I'm hoping to take some time this week to do this.  I really want to see this thing working!

Almost all of my other phones work, and I really want a working candlestick.  I'm so close!

It is hard to destroy a phone while repairing it.

Here is a link for a free download of Ralph Meyers book. It has a lot of good repair info. It is from the TCI site.

https://www.telephonecollectors.org/
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

eagle

Wow, what a great resource - thanks so much!

I think I'll try wiring this up first without the dial, then adding the dial once I get it working.

eagle

Hi, all.

I am starting to restore an AE candlestick, and I'm confused about how to connect the receiver.  The receiver I have looks exactly like the one seen here, and what's shown in that first pic is exactly everything I have -- the cap, then "funnel" (what's that called?), and the receiver itself.  I have a new 2-wire cord to connect to it.  My question: how exactly do I connect this thing to my cord?  If I were to guess, I would solder one lead to the case, and the other lead to the cross-beam.  Is that it?

My other guess is that I'm missing a part or two inside the "funnel" -- but I don't know what I'm missing (if anything) because I'm totally ignorant here and my searches have not found any pics showing anything missing. :)

While I'm at it, my other thread (sorry I posted that in the wrong forum) shows pics of what I have, and it shows the transmitter.  Surely the mouthpiece/cap and big brass thinger are not all one piece, right?  Surely I could unscrew the screws visible on the transmitter piece and have that all come apart, right?  Questions: Should the mouthpiece/cap unscrew?  Where are the taps for the transmitter?  If I had to guess, they would be the big screws at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock in my pic.  Is that right?

Anyway, I have a mini network, wires, a ringer box and the candlestick itself.  Hopefully I can get this repaired this week -- and, more importantly, hopefully it all works.

eagle

Well, I've done lots of searches on here, and I just don't see how to wire up this AE receiver.  I've done continuity tests on it and everything I test connects to everything else I test.  I see how to wire up the transmitter.

Anybody got any ideas for how to physically wire up the AE D5189A transmitter?  Since every point shows connectivity to every other point, I'm not sure what to do.

Also, it occurs to me that maybe my receiver is bad.  Any idea where I can obtain a replacement?

SUnset2

Since you are trying to wire this up using a mini network, you should follow the wiring diagrams for mini networks.
This thread has links to some:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19085.msg196115#msg196115

eagle

Thanks, yes, I'm going to be doing that. I'm trying to figure out how to physically connect the D5189A to the mini network.  The diagrams just show the receiver "funnel" (whatever that is called), and there is nothing specific in the diagram about how to physically connect a D5189A to a mini network -- specifically, where are the contacts on the D5189A?  Everything seems to have continuity to everything else. But maybe that's how a D5189A works, I'm not sure.

To be clear, the attached pic shows all I have as far as the receiver -- the bakelite part, a 2-wire cord, and a D5189. If more is needed, I'll need to get something else. But if this is all that's needed, I just need to know where to attach my leads.

Connecting the transmitter seems pretty obvious -- there are 2 large screws that seem to be on opposite sides of the diaphragm.

eagle

AHA -- I had the thought to open up my AE40-style shipboard phone (see attached pics), and I see that it has a very similar receiver piece (it's a D-51020-A, "type 81"), so now I see what I need to do.  The part that the earpiece connects to does not exist in the bakelite part of my candlestick, but I can just solder it, no problem.  If there's a good place to buy that insert, I'd rather do that.  Anybody know of such a place?

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Has anyone attempted to move the parts from the handset of an AE 40 into a 42-type receiver shell?
I''m sure there are plenty of handsets from broken AE 40s.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

eagle

@poplar1: thanks for the pic -- it looks very similar to my AE40-style phone.

Attached is a pic of what I have -- it's just the bakelite shell, the cap, and the D5189A.  I don't have the other piece, which is what I need.  If there's a good place to buy one, I will.  If not, I'll just solder some leads onto the D5189A -- after I test it in my AE40 phone.

eagle

Maybe I should just buy one of these elements -- that won't need the insert, and I can screw right onto it, and I bet it would fit in my receiver.

I see the full receiver here, and the piece I need is shown in this pic.

I'd rather buy that g-sytle element than solder onto the D5189A.

Anybody got a better idea here?

TelePlay

That receiver shell you have looks like one that used an pole electromagnet moving a thin metal diaphragm. That she'll was not made for that receiver element.

Does the receiver rattle when inside the shell and the cap is screwed on?

I thought you were asking about the connections on the network, not inside the shell.