"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello from Upstate New York

Started by TransparentTrimline, July 12, 2022, 11:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TransparentTrimline

Hi, Fellow Phone Friends,

I'm Shane, or as you might see, "TransparentTrimline" I've lurked around for a little bit but decided it was time to make an introduction . My journey into phones has been long; I have fond memories of sitting in our living room talking to my grandma on our blue trimline. A trimline also always sat next to my grandma, so I really do like trimlines, and all their colors.

But let's talk more about why TransparentTrimline, in early 2022 I was walking around an antique co-op in the Southern Tier of New York and spotted, out of the corner of my eye, a transparent timeline. Holding it in my hand made me think of simpler times. So for $40, this Trimline was mine, and for years, I've been into cell phones, clinging onto my Blackberry's last life, and I had this new Trimline that used to be hardwired into someone's wall and had its cord cut. So I figured out how to get the connector I needed to convert it into an RJ11 plug (thank's eBay). But then the next hurdle, it only felt right to plug it into a POTS line. After much convincing, earlier this month, I got Verizon to sell me a copper line with a local-only dial tone; for $16.80 a month! (someone at Verizon isn't happy with that sales rep, and after a man in a bucket truck came and connected my line). Today I also got my 2nd Trimline, a yellow AD3!

So here's to this new adventure!

I'm also attaching a picture of the transparent Trimline which is an AD1
Look mom, this one has wires!

Jim Stettler

My guess is that you transparent trimline is a F# set.
I base my guess on the handset cord. The original base cord would match.
If it is a F# set, there should be a F# stamped in vermillion ink on the housing.

The F# trimlines were some of the first transparent trimlines.
A lot of transparent phones were used in the Phone Center stores.
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TransparentTrimline

Hiya Jim!

Here are some more pictures: I'm not finding that F, but am curious to know a little bit more about my friend, the transparent trimline!

Best,
Shane

Jim Stettler

I appears it isn't an F #.

The model # of this handset is the vermillion stamp at the handset cord.

A nice bonus on this phone is the handset cord.
In my opinion. the cord is worth the $40.00 you paid for the phone.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Quote from: TransparentTrimline on July 13, 2022, 08:30:46 AM...but am curious to know a little bit more about my friend, the transparent trimline!

Welcome to the forum, Shane.

I agree with Jim. The marking looks like 2220, the standard twelve button dial model.

For more general Trimline info, hopefully you found the Search feature to view past forum discussions regarding Trimlines.

In addition, there's more general background summarized on my site in several places. References are provided to help find specific Bell System Practices and articles that contain a lot more info. Start here and follow links, such as to the development timelines or detail pages:
http://www.paul-f.com/weTrimline.html

Find some of the referenced Bell System Practices in the TCI Library.

The TCI Library is also a great source for info. Here's a starter search link:
https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=trimline

This gives loads of info including articles, wiring diagrams and BSPs.

Searches can be modified by adding keywords to be more selective. A good one for some Bell System articles is:
https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=trimline+btm+or+blr

Happy reading!

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

SUnset2

Hi Shane,
I can't find any "F" numbers on my clear Trimline either.  The base is just marked AD1.  It came with a box for the handset marked 220A-29.  According to Paul F's site, the -29 is transparent.
Reference link to pictures and discussion: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25091.msg247749#msg247749

19and41

A belated welcome from Georgia.  I've not been fortunate enough to find a transparent one, but I have several pigmented trimlines, dial and t/t.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Stormcrash

And a belated welcome from a former Upstate New Yorker who has been transplanted to the pacific northwest and who also loves Trimline phones!

That transparent is a very neat find Interesting that the dates on the base and handset are nearly exactly a year apart (3-75 and 2-76) and that it's the round button model as well!

TransparentTrimline

Quote from: Stormcrash on September 01, 2022, 12:02:43 AMAnd a belated welcome from a former Upstate New Yorker who has been transplanted to the pacific northwest and who also loves Trimline phones!

That transparent is a very neat find Interesting that the dates on the base and handset are nearly exactly a year apart (3-75 and 2-76) and that it's the round button model as well!

Wow, what a catch; I didn't notice that. I have frequented the antique mall where I've found this lately now that I've been back in the area and have found some other goodies that I need to post.

RDPipes

Welcome sir, these guys seldom notice new members posts around here and I apologize for them, oh er, a me!
Hope you enjoy your stay, a lot of real good information here if you look hard enough and people too.

FABphones

A belated but warm welcome Shane. Looking forward to seeing more of your collection.
 :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

I guess I will jump in with a belated Welcome too :)
You have found the best forum on the net. Period. Not only for old phones but also for the people here.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"