"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Member since March 2022, I forgot to post here

Started by ChrisW6ATV, August 31, 2022, 07:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisW6ATV

Hi all-

I joined this forum earlier this year (thank you, Dennis and all of the forum team!) but did not think to post here until now. Here is some basic information:

I have enjoyed playing with phones and wiring them casually since I was a teenager, but I only started getting more interested in collecting a few fun old ones in the last few years.

Since 2016, I have had a job that includes installing and repairing traditional copper phone lines and desk/wall phones for a large university that has its own phone system (thousands of lines!), as well as configuring IP phones and Voice Gateways (IP-to-analog multi-line devices).

Beside classic phones, I also enjoy ham radio (my call sign is in my user name here), restoring early TV sets, pinball, bowling, camping, home improvement projects, and many other shiny objects. Nothing is ever too technical or too complex for me to at least give it a try (safely and prudently, of course).

Thank you all for having me here!

RDPipes

ChrisW6ATV

Thanks, RDPipes! Now, I need to figure out how to add a picture to my profile, and what to put in it. (A punch-down or wire-wrap tool, or one or more butt sets?)

Stormcrash

Welcome! Neat job working in telecom for a university. One of the first ways I was able to explore my interest in the telephone was when I was in college. My university provided a touch tone 2500 set in each dorm room and had unlimited domestic calling. Even learned to dial home to talk to may parents using only the switchook  :)

FABphones

Hi and welcome to the CRPF family. Great bunch of members here with a lot of knowledge to share...

Quote from: ChrisW6ATV on August 31, 2022, 07:55:17 PM...I also enjoy ham radio (my call sign is in my user name here), restoring early TV sets, pinball, bowling, camping, home improvement projects, and many other shiny objects...

...and we also have an 'Off Topic' board for you to share your none-telephonic finds too!  :)
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Hi Chris,
Welcome to the best forum on the net. We love pictures, let's see what you have. I usually give a warning to new members about Phoneitis but it looks like you have the disease in full bloom for lots of stuff. Keep collecting ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ka1axy

Quote from: Stormcrash on August 31, 2022, 11:44:08 PMWelcome! Neat job working in telecom for a university. One of the first ways I was able to explore my interest in the telephone was when I was in college. My university provided a touch tone 2500 set in each dorm room and had unlimited domestic calling. Even learned to dial home to talk to may parents using only the switchook  :)

Hah! Back in the 70s, my (state) school had 500 sets in every room, but you got an actual phone bill from The Phone Company for it every month. On-campus calls were free. Long distance was billed at regular rates.

I found the wiring panel and wired my gf's phone to the black/yellow pair in my room, so that if her mom called at night, she could answer it.

Thanks for the memories :-)