News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Odd Argentinian Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, November 23, 2022, 09:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just bought this unusual thing: ebay link.  It looks rather ugly, and it isn't in great condition, but it isn't common either.  Does anyone have information about these or perhaps a replacement dial center cover?

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I just found out that despite the ebay listing showing the seller as being in Miami, the phone is actually being shipped from Buenos Aires, Argentina via DHL, so it will likely be a while before it arrives.

Larry

RDPipes

I don't know a dadburn thing about the phone Larry but, I like the idea of the coin in the number card spot, the phones also looks like it needs to go on a diet, Ha!

Happy Thanksgiving!

FABphones

Unusual Find.  :)

Can't tell you too much about the phone, but Industria Vilgon (seller misread the name) Argentina, also made door entry systems.

This for sale for a whopping $2500.  :o

Quote from: RDPipes on November 24, 2022, 07:14:20 AM...the phones also looks like it needs to go on a diet, Ha!

;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

This phone apparently copied the esthetics from the commonly found B5111A which is essentially a BTMC 2724 with replacement shell and handset to make it look more modern.  Grayson posted about one here: forum link.  From the picture of the bottom of this phone, it is obviously different than the B5111A internally.

I see that Vilgon makes intercoms/entry systems.  Perhaps this phone was made as part of an intercom system.  I hope that it will work on a standard phone line.  How the seller can ship the phone to me from Argentina for the price I paid puzzles me.

Stay tuned...

Larry

countryman

I can't see in the offer which kind of $ it is, I suppose the sign is used for a number of currencies (@FABphones).
The phone seems to have a normal dial which intercoms usually do not have, so likely it will work on a standard landline. There no longer is a market for regular phones, so the company may have specialized in intercom and door systems over the years.
Good find Larry, an ITT design!
I also wonder about the shipping in regard of the cost and the time specified by the seller. Let us know when it arrives!

LM Ericsson

I have one, though made at Talleres Ciudadela in 1975 which was part of Standard Electric with a FACE Standard dial for ENtel Argentina. It practically is the updated model of the Standard Electric B5111A, with new electronics inside. These phones have a concentric dual-gong ringer just like the Spanish Heraldo phones. I purchased a phone from that seller a little while back and it will most likely be coming from Argentina, but mine came very quickly. I highly recommend him as a seller. It looks like yours is equipped with an Australian dial. With a good clean and polish it will look absolutely beautiful. Here is a picture of mine (it happens to be my lock screen):
Regards,
-Grayson

LarryInMichigan

I just received a notification from DHL stating "Shipment is out with courier for delivery", so it could be that the phone will arrive today.  It went through US Customs in Miami quite quickly.  Stay tuned...

Larry

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 28, 2022, 11:25:40 AMIt went through US Customs in Miami quite quickly.

You dodged Opa Locka, but I have to say, I have had several south Florida shipments go through Opa Locka undamaged in less than a day - guess they really did clean up their operations in that distribution center . . . 😉

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: TelePlay on November 28, 2022, 11:56:08 AMYou dodged Opa Locka, but I have to say, I have had several south Florida shipments go through Opa Locka undamaged in less than a day - guess they really did clean up their operations in that distribution center . . . 😉

This package is being handled by DHL, not USPS.  I don't think that I have ever seen DHL delivering to houses around here, but perhaps they do.  Their site does say that I should expect delivery today.  We will have to wait and see.

Larry

LM Ericsson

Mine went through Miami. You should be good.
Regards,
-Grayson

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 28, 2022, 12:06:14 PMThis package is being handled by DHL, not USPS.  I don't think that I have ever seen DHL delivering to houses around here, but perhaps they do.

I've seen these other types of carriers (DHL for example) used from the seller's place (always volume sellers most likely with shipping contracts) to my local USPS post office for home delivery, regardless of carrier used, over the last mile by the USPS. And, I have seen the delivery times better than if handled all the way by the USPS. Curious.

LarryInMichigan

The phone arrived a short while ago, and unfortunately, it is mostly worthless trash.  The insides have been heavily modified/trashed.  There is no inductor coil, no capacitor, the ringer armature is bent, and the handset elements are wrong.  I don't know how it is supposed to be, but the best I could probably do is to install a mini network.  This phone will probably go to the basement and be forgotten.  At least the coin which is glued to the finger wheel is worth about $.0001.

Larry

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Does the ringer work?