News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bakelite Polish

Started by NYFED, July 10, 2009, 03:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I would but they have a long distance number we are going up there tommorrow for to register for home school so we will pobably just stop by there
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

Try to find a plastics specialty shop in your area, e.g. in my area it's called Tap Plastics.  They have all 3 grades of Novus and the floor people weren't mindless clerks, they were experts on plastics and resins.  The local Harley shop only had small bottles of Novus 1.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

what is the difference between novus 1,2, and 3?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Novus #1 is a fine, finish polish that comes in a spray pump-style bottle.  It is a "final" polish.  #2 is the medium grit polish and the I use most of the time.  #3 has a much grittier feel to it and is for deeper scratches.  I have found that I use mostly #2.  I buy #2 in a half gallon bottle and it lasts me quite a while.  I have only used one full 8oz bottle of #3 and rarely bring out the #1.

My recommendation would be to spend your money on a larger bottle (8oz) of #2 rather than pay for the set of three.  A little goes a long way.  If you really get into polishing up phones you might want to consider buying the polish in larger quantities. 

I think that Novus was initially developed as a way to remove or improve automotive lenses that have fogged over or discolored from age.  Things such as colored overhead light lenses on emergency vehicles, etc.  At least that's one use that their web sites boasts.

http://www.novuspolish.com/

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 06, 2010, 10:03:55 AM
Novus #1 is a fine, finish polish that comes in a spray pump-style bottle.  It is a "final" polish.  #2 is the medium grit polish and the I use most of the time.  #3 has a much grittier feel to it and is for deeper scratches.  I have found that I use mostly #2.  I buy #2 in a half gallon bottle and it lasts me quite a while.  I have only used one full 8oz bottle of #3 and rarely bring out the #1.

My recommendation would be to spend your money on a larger bottle (8oz) of #2 rather than pay for the set of three.  A little goes a long way.  If you really get into polishing up phones you might want to consider buying the polish in larger quantities. 

I think that Novus was initially developed as a way to remove or improve automotive lenses that have fogged over or discolored from age.  Things such as colored overhead light lenses on emergency vehicles, etc.  At least that's one use that their web sites boasts.

http://www.novuspolish.com/
Dennis I agree 100%. I still have a half used bottle of Novus #1 from eight years ago and I didn't find much value from the spray #3.  The #2 is truly a winner and the star of the Novus family.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Actually Doug, the spray is #1 and the heavier polish is #3.  I could never figure that one out either.  You'd think the numbers would start with #1 as the "big gun" followed by #2 and then the finish spray as #3.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 06, 2010, 11:15:26 AM
Actually Doug, the spray is #1 and the heavier polish is #3.  I could never figure that one out either.  You'd think the numbers would start with #1 as the "big gun" followed by #2 and then the finish spray as #3.
Dennis...shows how much I used them!...Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

Got it. It was 5.95 for an 8 ounce bottle. I got 2 bottles. They have all 3 and it does wonderful work.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Netdewt

My 302 handset is pretty faded but smooth. Is there any way to get it back to black? I have not used the buffer with Novus 2 on it yet. I was thinking maybe I need to re dye it or something.

DavePEI

Hi All:

For years, I have bought my Novus at local auto glass shops. They use it to buff and remove scratches from plastic headlight and other lenses.  I have found that just about any glass shop around here sells it.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bill

Quote from: NetdewtMy 302 handset is pretty faded but smooth. Is there any way to get it back to black? I have not used the buffer with Novus 2 on it yet. I was thinking maybe I need to re dye it or something.
Netdewt -

There is some disagreement among members here, but if the handset is smooth enough to satisfy you (in other words, if there is some gloss), and all it needs is recoloring, then black paste shoe polish works well. Just as for shoes, you rub it on, let it sit, and buff it with a clean cloth or a buffer. It won't smooth out any imperfections, but it will shine up nicely on an already-smooth surface.

Bill

WesternElectricBen

With bakelite I use my daddys shoe polish.

phoneaddict

Quote from: DavePEI on September 18, 2012, 08:17:34 PM
Hi All:

For years, I have bought my Novus at local auto glass shops. They use it to buff and remove scratches from plastic headlight and other lenses.  I have found that just about any glass shop around here sells it.

Dave

Dave - You comment about "...buff and remove scratches from plastic headlight and other lenses" got me to thinking about headlight restoration kits. Amazon.com has one: 3M 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System that sells for $14.41. Do you think it's worth a try? Gerald

Tim Mc

Before you try a headlight restorer, try a (cheaper) premium rubbing compound which may be the main ingredient in a headlight restorer anyway.  Turtle Wax T-415 has always worked well for me and can be found in big box and auto parts stores for about the same price as Amazon.  I've stopped using Novus a while ago and mostly use T-415 for polishing both plastic and bakelite.  I also used it to clean and shine the original paint on a few metal 302s and my 51AL with great results.  

I previously used black Kiwi shoe polish (old school paste) for restoring the black finish to bakelite handsets, but mineral oil has really gotten my attention after reading about how Doug and others have had good results with Skin So Soft.  I have posted my mineral oil results in another thread.

wrangler64

Now that summer is almost officially over :'( I can get back to restoring phones.  Just wondered if anyone has tried a product called Wipe New. They have advertised it on TV plus I have seen it in Canadian Tire. They basically say it will restore things to its original shine but not to be used on painted metal. Can restore headlights, vinyl, etc. just curious if anyone has tried it. Thanks