News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The JKL Telephone Museum - California, Lost to Fire

Started by Ktownphoneco, September 11, 2015, 12:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Dave...I totally agree with you. I was sitting in my phone room last night wondering what I would do if it was destroyed. My collection is minuscule compared to the loss of the JKL museum. I do not think I would have the strength or drive to try and recreate it. One of those amazing trucks could barely fit into my phone room.

This is just devastating!

John, Wayne and Remco I am so sorry for your loss....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

This is absolutely Horrible news. we have so few museums.
The first thought that flashed in my mind, and I know it's not the biggest concern. They had one of the FEW documented 1949 WE 500 sets.
Is there any hope of salvaging ANYTHING ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

DavePEI

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 12, 2015, 01:48:17 PM
This is absolutely Horrible news. we have so few museums.
The first thought that flashed in my mind, and I know it's not the biggest concern. They had one of the FEW documented 1949 WE 500 sets.
Is there any hope of salvaging ANYTHING ?
D/P
Dan, as far as I know, they haven't been allowed back into the area yet due to the evacuation. Perhaps they may get back in some time today. We will have to wait for one of them to fill us in. The problem is it is a huge fire (65,000 acres as of this morning, and then only 5% contained). So it may be a while yet before they can get in to access the losses.

Of course, also, once they do get back in, they will have other things on their mind, and it may take some time before we hear a report. I can only imagine how they must be feeling.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

RotarDad

This is certainly a huge loss.  CA has really been hit this year with little water, low humidity and high temperatures making fires more likely and harder to fight.  Like others have stated, I hope they were able to save some items.  Either way, their collective knowledge would go a long way toward rebuilding if they can muster the gumption.

Question - I thought the museum '49 500 was in Seattle.  Did it end up in the JKL museum?
Paul

Dave F

I spoke briefly to Wayne who told me that they had several hours prior to the arrival of the fire in which to remove as much of the rare stuff as they could cart off.  I'm sure we will all learn later just what that means, but Wayne did say that the rare prototypes and AUTOVON sets were saved.

DF

Russ Kirk

That is great news that they were able save some items.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Dave F on September 12, 2015, 05:57:35 PM
I spoke briefly to Wayne who told me that they had several hours prior to the arrival of the fire in which to remove as much of the rare stuff as they could cart off.  I'm sure we will all learn later just what that means, but Wayne did say that the rare prototypes and AUTOVON sets were saved.

DF

I agree, that is really good news. Hopefully they were able to load it up in the bell phone truck and drive it off?

Ben

Phonesrfun

Quote from: RotarDad on September 12, 2015, 03:39:51 PM

Question - I thought the museum '49 500 was in Seattle.  Did it end up in the JKL museum?

They probably have (had) :( one too. 

The photos and thread we had here on this forum were taken at the Seattle museum.  I know because I was there. 
-Bill G

Sargeguy

Like many collectors, I have always wanted to visit the museum and it's marvels.  I am glad everyone is safe and I hope they can re-build.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

Well, I'm speechless :(

There have literally only been maybe 3 or 4 New topics here on CRPF that I have had to take a deep breath in preparation for what will undoubtably be bad news before opening and starting to read.

I really feel for them. I have long planned on visiting hoping to stay and help out for awhile. It never crossed my mind for even a moment that it might not be there before I managed to get there.

What a disaster.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 12, 2015, 10:20:29 PM
What a disaster.

Terry
Hi Terry: Exactly what I felt the morning it was announced on the lists. It does leave you speechless for a while. However, at least as it turned out, they did have some warning, and were able to at least save some of the rarer items as announced today.

I keep waiting for them to get back there when the fire settles down, and I hope at least some of what was left there can be salvaged. Meanwhile, all we can do is wait to hear.

So sad for all of them.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

It's really tough on people when they cannot get back into an area to see what they do or don't have left.  We had a major fire about 10 miles out of my town this year and some residents were not allowed back in for as long as a week.

-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

These are pctures sent to me from a good friend. You can see the wreckage as well as a gigantic sign in the corner of the second picture.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

How horribly, horribly sad. I'll sadly admit, not as much left as I thought! I hope some phones can be found and salvaged in that wreckage.

Again, my deepest condolences!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

tptech302

Does look really bad. Sadly i never made it out there either.

Hopefully there will be some things left somewhere. I have looked at their website many times, wasn't there a vault of some kind a lot of the documents were kept in?