News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone Theory & Practice 3-volume set.

Started by Greg G., May 28, 2014, 02:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I bought volumes 2 & 3 from Goodwill online, not knowing they were only part of a 3 volume set.  They were described as a "grab bag" for around $10. 

When I realized there was another volume to the set, volume 1, I went on a search for it.  Amazon didn't have it at the time (but they do now, for $10 less than what I paid!) but I found a copy on Alibris.

Volumes 2 & 3, the Goodwill books, stink heavily with tobacco.  I looked up "stinky old books" references and I'm certain it's tobacco, they do not have evidence of mold.  I put them in a container with baking soda for a couple of days, and then left them to air out in what little sun we get in the NW for a day, they still stink.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

unbeldi

Nice find no doubt.
Kempster Miller was most noted for his earlier seminal work "American Telephone Practice" around 1900, or before.  (available on Google Books, btw)

nolan613

Success is not final,
failure is not fatal:
it is the courage to continue that counts

Winston Churchill

Greg G.

Quote from: nolan613 on April 01, 2017, 10:13:17 PM
Although not the best scan there is a copy online at http://etler.com/docs/Books/Telephone%20Theory%20and%20Practice,%201933.pdf

Thanks.  I have all 3 volumes now.  I left the stinky ones sealed in a bag with baking soda for several months, they don't stink anymore, just that "old book" smell.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

nolan613

Success is not final,
failure is not fatal:
it is the courage to continue that counts

Winston Churchill