News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can't display System Features on Panasonic Phones after Replacing KX-TD816switch

Started by sh8080, August 03, 2018, 03:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sh8080

Hi All,

Here's a question for the KX-TD gurus out there.

I just replaced the 18 year old Panasonic KX-TD816 in my home with a used one because the original had too much audio hum on the lines.  I am using the original
KX-T7433 proprietary phones with 3 line display.

I downloaded my configuration and the replacement fired right up and has clean audio.  Everything seems to work except I can't access System Features on the displays of my phones.  That means I can't view System Speed dial entries on the display and scroll through them to auto-dial.  When I'm connected to the old switch the Shift key on the display is illuminated and I can switch between system features or contrast and background music.  On the new switch the Shift key is not illuminated and I can't change the display to System Features.  The speed dial entries are in the system and I can access them in other ways but then I'd have to keep a printed list by the phone.

I have a full set of factory manuals but after about 8 hours of reading and trying things I can't find any station programming to enable the System Features.

My original switch had ROM version P311D00712A
The replacement switch has ROM version P301C80108A

The Panasonic tech manuals say it ought to just work with the proprietary phones.

Does anyone know the trick that I need to do to enable System Features on my phones?  I would sure appreciate the help.

SuperHybrid8080

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Just to clarify this unit, the KT-TDxxx is the newer "digital" version of the KT-T616 and KT-T308 units discussed at length and used by quite a few forum members so anything or any knowledge related to the KT-Txxx units will be of no help here.

Must be a few "digital" Panasonic gurus out there who can answer this new member's question, help solve his problem.

http://www.voicesonic.com/panasonic/manuals/KX-TD816-1232_System/KX-TD816-1232_brochure.pdf

jsowers

I am no expert or even casually acquainted with a Panasonic PBX but I am a computer technician and I can understand the procedures that are somewhat like the older computers. I noticed that it looks like the ROM version in your old PBX seems to be newer than the one in your new PBX. Is that ROM in a socketed chip? You can try swapping the ROM chip to the newer PBX using the procedure outlined at this site at the top where it says "KX-TD." It's worth a try, just to see if you get the same performance as the old unit.

http://www.888-6666.com/eprom_information.htm

Also there's a manual online that's searchable, which to me is easier than having to read the entire thing in paper form.

http://www.ask-tsc.com/pdf/KX-TD816.1232.User.Manual.pdf

Let us know if that fixes it or if you've tried that already. And take lots of pics of how things were before you started, just in case. Good luck!
Jonathan

sh8080

Thanks for your responses.

The KX-TD816 is badged as a "Digital Super Hybrid".  It's late '90's technology.

Yes the Proms are socketed and if nobody offers up a programming solution I will try swapping the Proms.  It does appear that my original system had a newer version of the Proms than the replacement system.

I have already tried reinstalling the original switch and then I regain access to speed dial on my phones displays, but with bad audio hum.

SH8080

twocvbloke

The audio hum is probably due to bad capacitors somewhere in the power supply, given they don't last forever, they're usually the first thing to suspect... :)

sh8080

yes I agree on the bad caps, all the replacement power supplies I could find were used and I bought the whole switch used for $115.  If it's not just something in programming that I've missed I could always swap power supplies, but if I did that and it still hummed I'd be kicking myself.

twocvbloke

With a lot of equipment of that era getting on a bit, capacitors are always suspect, my Amiga A600's power supply needs to be re-capped as I found a bulging one in there and that corner of the PCB is damp from leaked electrolyte, if swapping power supplies sorts out the hum, then I'd recommend a re-cap on the PSU you removed, it's relatively easy to do if you're good with a soldering iron... :)

sh8080

Fixed !

Thanks everyone for your help.

I swapped the PROMS from my original switch into the replacement switch and
it restored my ability to access System Features and system speed dial on my KT-7433 phones.

SH8080

jsowers

Quote from: sh8080 on August 07, 2018, 07:08:23 PM
Fixed !

Thanks everyone for your help.

I swapped the PROMS from my original switch into the replacement switch and
it restored my ability to access System Features and system speed dial on my KT-7433 phones.

SH8080

Great! Thanks for letting us know. Someone else is bound to have that problem sometime and it's always nice to know what fixed it. I'm glad it was that easy.
Jonathan