News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Casper The Friendly Ghost On My Windshield

Started by 19and41, January 28, 2020, 02:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

My heater in the mustang is beginning to issue forth foggy ghosts on the glass, signifying that the heater core has failed.  I had it replaced a few years ago.  There is something about the velocity of the coolant passing through it.  The first one had become limed up and the pressure ripped the center out of it, looking like someone had shot it with a shotgun slug.  I'm wondering if the feed tubes might have fractured their soldered attachments.  It'll be over $550 to have it replaced as the entire dash assembly will have to be removed to get to the heater/AC plenum.  Not a better idea. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Wow that's not good. Have you thought about a bypass for it as well, so not the entire velosity goes through the core, just some of it?
It's worth a try so you don't keep going through cores and you still have heat.
KEN

19and41

They make a flow restrictor insert for the pump to core line.  I'm not sure if they put one in last time, but there is one on order, along with a new Motorcraft core now.  I have the same size engine (5.0) in my truck.  5 screws and 2 hose clamps to get it out and it still has the original core.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Just got a call from the shop.  it is done now and it came to around $670.  Sure cure for phoneitis.  :D 
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

Quote from: 19and41 on February 04, 2020, 01:46:31 PM
  Sure cure for phoneitis.  :D 
My guess s a distraction of 1 year or less.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

I'll give it a couple of months. There is no cure, only a brief remission.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

Got the core replaced.  The next problem promptly reared it's ugly head.  The engine would momentarily shut down, for a little less than a half second and resume.  I was driving it on a short errand and the engine abruptly quit at a traffic intersection.  No power to the engine management system, everything else works, including the starter.  Sometimes I think Ford wanted to provide the driver with all the joys of a real sports car, down to simulated Lucas electrics.  I had to tow it home with AAA after waiting in the cold for 2 hours.  Thank goodness for my halogen radiant heater!!
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Fix Or Repair Daily still holds true. Exactly why I DONT drive a Ford. My mom had a car just like that many years ago.. She got rid of it promptly.
KEN

19and41

I've had 1 car that was so rotten that it swore me off all cars and trucks by it's maker.  I was delighted when a lady bought it thinking it was real cool.  It was an '86 Toronado.  My 25 year old mustang is a piker in the money pit department compared to that toro when it was 5 years old.
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Luckily Odsmobile is no longer in business so you don't have to worry about another one ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

GM is though.  I see they have flung off the Holden brand now.
— Arthur C. Clarke

countryman

They also dropped their European brands, Opel and Vauxhall some time ago.

19and41

Poor Alfred Sloan's probably rolling over in his grave.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Everyone produces a Lemmon every once and a while. Because the name of the game is do your job and do it fast..
Unfortunately fast doesn't produce good results every time.
But your issue sounds like and ignition problem that's intermittent. That make its hard to diagnose.
When the mechanic was working on my mom's car, he inadvertently hit the wire from the coil to the points, the car died, he tried to start it, nope. Replaced that wire no problems after.. Until the next one reared its head.

Old mobiles were kinda cool in some designs, but over all not a very reliable car. I've owned Chevy's for years, never had any major issues I couldn't deal with. They never left me stranded.
KEN

19and41

This one was being intermittent, but I can see the failureis within the engine management area of the wiring.  The ECM has an interface with the main engine support systems and is a relay module.  I need a dry day or two to see how much of what is affected.  If the car can be read with my OBD I reader, then the ECM is good.  then the relay module and it's support circuitry would be suspect.
— Arthur C. Clarke