News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

FABphones' Telephone Workshop Build

Started by FABphones, May 04, 2020, 05:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I like the pink parts tray! The one I use is a boring brown. :)

Babybearjs

nice shop! hopefulley you'll get stuff done.... mines a more bit rustic then yours, but it work!
John

countryman

Hey, an ivory Trommelwähler! Or is it white?

Doug Rose

Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on August 01, 2020, 03:39:50 PM
Hey, an ivory Trommelwähler! Or is it white?

Ivory :).
In need of some TLC, sadly. But I hope to do right by it.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

That's nice. The only other one I saw was black.
I noticed it in your latest shot of your shop, but couldn't remember the name..
KEN

FABphones

As requested, a quick update. As you can see from the images, there isn't room to move in the workshop due to it becoming a temporary storage area for boxed up phones whilst their new display room is undergoing transformation. No space to work in there. :(

It's sloooow progress but nothing I can do to speed things up as their new room is literally in need of complete renovation - ceiling, walls, windows, door, floor, electrics, heating... everything. It's underway but will take time.

When the boxes come out I have a nice old oak multi-drawer unit from a collage woodwork room to go in there. Am looking forward to getting my workspace back again!  :)

Key2871

So, A typical work shop.. Don't sweat it it will all come together soon. It always does.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: FABphones on March 08, 2021, 05:58:55 PMAs requested, a quick update. As you can see from the images, there isn't room to move in the workshop due to it becoming a temporary storage area for boxed up phones whilst their new display room is undergoing transformation...

The story of my telephone collecting.
A bit of advice, It always takes longer to get it back together than estimated, This is because a wise collector, takes the extra steps to think it thru and saves time in the long run.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

my workshop is mixed content.... telephones, computers, and lighting! all in a 8 X 12Ft. shed.... all heated and cooled! I installed the 5Kw heater this last winter.... now I can work 0utside in the winter!
John

Key2871

Better lighting has been on my adjenda for a few years, and last year I came across some free fixtures and then some 4 foot LED tubes for the fixtures so that's my project for this spring.
But I should look into some heat as well that would be luxurious, but it would be nice.
KEN

FABphones

Lighting:
This was an issue in my little workshop as it initially just had one centre ceiling lightbulb. This was replaced with an LED strip light and a floor standing swing arm lamp to aim light more directly towards projects where needed (neither were expensive buys, this workshop was built on a budget). Another smaller led strip light has yet to find the best place to be mounted. For close up work I was treated to a new magnifying glass which has a good light ring around it (similar model shown below).

Winter Heating:
I pinched an unused oil heater from the house (same model as below). The room is small so it warms it up a treat. It has adjustable heat settings and a timer so I can preheat the room and keep the temperature steady. As it is on wheels, I can easily move it out of the way when not in use.

Summer Ventilation:
An electric fan and an open door!  ;D

Key2871

I started out with a light very similar to the type you pictured. After a while it wouldn't hold its position and would become a issue with me keep moving it.
So I retired that idea, for mine on my post of my set up.
I changed the lighting in the community building in the community we have where we live.
I upgraded all the old ballast type florescent fixtures to direct voltage (115VAC) LED tubes. As a thank you I was given 4 left over tubes as payment and I then found used but still good fixtures that are exactly like the ones in our Hall, so I just rewired the fixtures to be direct wire and soon to be installed in my shed.
This will be a brighter upgrade to the led screw in bulbs I have now.
But my shed upgrade has also been done on a budget, a zero or very low cost budget.
But you have a brighter set up than mine.
But a bit more work and continued re- set up of where things are will  hopefully gain me some room.
KEN

FABphones

Now the display areas in the Phone Den are filling up, the workshop is being emptied nicely. During it's time locked up the phone projects appear to have multiplied like Tribbles, so a few new additions were required. Firstly more shelving for the phones awaiting attention. Filled those up fast so another couple of shelves will be added this week for those still taking up space on the work surface.

The Oak 20 drawer unit came out of a college workshop some years back. Fits in nicely.

The British Telecom (BT logo centre top) clock likely spent it's time  (  ;D  ) in an exchange or BT office.

The First Aid box came from a GPO exchange which had been closed down.

FABphones

A few additional BT tools have been added, plus a couple of BT parts bins.

The pair of wooden drawer units came from a junk shop.

In one of the drawers there is even a BT logo yellow vest, still in it's packaging.