News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is there a differance with Harris TS 21 sets with differant color shells?

Started by Key2871, September 02, 2020, 05:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

Figured out that chart is old. It doesnt cover the --89 series.
The Red Yellow set I was going to get wasnt all that great, so he offered to me a TS21 -089 its about the same as the 0-X89 its just solid Red.
And im still looking around for the newer chart thats explains the differant series, even though its just minor circuit changes with in the set.
Pictures tomorrow.. 
KEN

Key2871

Here are a couple shots before I buffed...
Then a few after I buffed...
There were just a few deep scratches i couldn't get completely out. But i figure its a test set, its going to get bumped around anyway.
KEN

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Cool. Nice looking set. Have you decided if there are any differences with color yet?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Thanks Harry, i think it really looks new now.
The difference of differant sets seems to be in the circuits. The color changes denote those
AND the last few digits inside the handle indicate the cord type.
081 is standard cord with single pin in clip.
082 is straigh bed of nails, no angle to the end of the clip.
084 is straight with pin.
087 is 3 wire ground start switch included.
088 is SPR cord, central office cord with resistor.
089 is a standard cord with ABN clips, angled bed of nails clips
CO cordset has the 346 type plug for changing the end of the cordset for the butt set for differant connections. Some clips have straight nose and some most common are angled with the pin and bed of nails for piercing insulation of quad wire, the pin is for the drop wire.
KEN

Doug Rose

Looks like my last Butt set I used on the road 30 years ago. It was still sitting in my B Box...Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

Ive had a set like this years ago, and I could run it with a 9 volt battery. This one and newer  since ive found they want line voltage, I think its the amperage.
Because this one will work with 18 volts, not 9.
But i just like my stuff looking nice as possible.
This one is a keeper for old times sake.

Doug, I like the combination spring and litz cords.
Something you did?

I have a chart simalar to the one Paul added, but its in a jif file and I cant figure how to seperate from the rest of the page just using my phone.
But some that were GS ground start, are marked differently, but i couldnt find a whole lot of differant things like I thought I might. 
KEN

Key2871

Fab I used a loose cotton wheel with jewelers ruge to Polish the plastic. Loose works much better, as it doesn't tend to cook the plastic, or scorch.
It leaves a nice shine on the finish, some plastic needs a hand rub to get fine marks out.
Like novis 1, or I like silver polish. Has enough grit to get the marks out, but leaves a nice finish
Sometimes a buff rake is needed to remove build up of compound and then burn off the loose strands. Otherwise it effects the finish.
I also have tripoli, but I dont use that on plastic, its too coarse.
But i use several buffs, cones to get into harx to reash area's, the main wheel i use was 6 inch when i started 20 plus years ago. But its down to about 5 or so now.
I have some stitch wheels but only use those on metal.

Maybe I'll do a topic on what I use for polishing and show all my buffs, compounds etc and the motor and spindle setup i have.
Everything i have i got mostly new, but some were second hand from the shop i worked at for 20 years finishing metal.
KEN

Key2871

Some images of clips used on these sets.
First and second are standard ABN, or angled bed of nails, with spike.
Third is straight nose SBN.
Third just shows the spike used to pierce drop wire old type with hard rubber coating.

The bed of nails can penetrate the insulation of single wires with out striping to gain connection.
KEN

Doug Rose

Doug, I like the combination spring and litz cords.
Something you did?

[/quote]Ken....the way it came out it of the box, never seen a combo like it.

This guy got used big time. As you know, a tech has to mark his tools.....Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

Ive never seen such with part coil and part straight. Thats odd.
Yea tools have a way of wondering off so you need to track them.
Ive seen ground start, resistor leads standard even the CO cordset with plugs and strange clips, etc but not that.  Interesting
KEN

Whitcrane76

The only butt sets I know of where color makes a difference is the old rotary 1013, 1013A, and 1014. The blue, orange , and yellow ones. Still, I think the color only represents the model, no difference in internals that I'm aware of.

Doug Rose

I like to get the color Butt Sets in New or Barely used condition. Still looking for a Blue Red (orange) Combo. Just missed out on a clear a few years ago  :'(

Also a picture of the curly cord combo on my old beat up work butt set...Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

Wiltcrane, yes i had said that. About the circuits and colors of sets.

Doug, quite a collection of test sets you have. I just saw the other day for the first time, a yellow blue bell set, never saw that combination before.
Very interesting.
KEN