News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2x GPO No150 Candlestick Phone Lamps

Started by FABphones, July 26, 2021, 10:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Maybe I just felt sorry for these. A pair of GPO No150 Candlestick lamps which would categorise equally well in lamp phone atrocities. I guess I'm also a tad intrigued as to how much of the interior remains and why that particular short cord to the receivers. Basically, what exactly the converter did to 'upcycle' :-\ these poor old sticks.

From British Telephones website (https://www.britishtelephones.com/t150.htm):

"Introduced in 1924, it was the PO's first standard design of dial table telephone. Where the telephone was to be used on manual exchanges, the space for the dial in the base of the telephone was covered by a dummy insert (used as a number label holder) that could be replaced by a dial when the exchange was converted to automatic operation".

I have a spare metal dial blank (referred to above as a dummy insert) to match them up correctly, No2 endcaps I am short of, but as I already have several No150 candlesticks these will likely remain as lamps. Particularly if any internal parts are missing.

Only thing is left to decide is - whether to put a hat lampshade on them?  :(
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on July 26, 2021, 10:53:29 AM
Maybe I just felt sorry for these. A pair of GPO No150 Candlestick lamps which would categorise equally well in lamp phone atrocities. I guess I'm also a tad intrigued as to how much of the interior remains and why that particular short cord to the receivers. Basically, what exactly the converter did to 'upcycle' :-\ these poor old sticks.

From British Telephones website (https://www.britishtelephones.com/t150.htm):

"Introduced in 1924, it was the PO's first standard design of dial table telephone. Where the telephone was to be used on manual exchanges, the space for the dial in the base of the telephone was covered by a dummy insert (used as a number label holder) that could be replaced by a dial when the exchange was converted to automatic operation".

I have a spare metal dial blank (referred to above as a dummy insert) to match them up correctly, No2 endcaps I am short of, but as I already have several No150 candlesticks these will likely remain as lamps. Particularly if any internal parts are missing.

Only thing is left to decide is - whether to put a hat lampshade on them?  :(
really nice CJ.....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

The righthand one looks in nice shape, with the metalwork still black and not brassed-out. Hopefully the insides are still intact.
:)

RB

Very impressive sticks/lamps there.
Interesting how the mods were made to the transmitters, as there is no space in the perch to fit a socket.
I would be happy to own one for a phone, or a lamp!
Those are two examples of something else I have not seen before.
They both look good.

FABphones

The 'lamp back into a phone' conversion is completed on the first of these two lamp-phones...
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=26400

So attention has now turned to the second phone:

- Added Bayonet loose
- Receiver damage to top
- Damaged baseplate
- Incorrect endcap
- Incorrect dial blanking plate
- Transmitter housing drilled (for Bayonet)
- Transmitter components removed
- Interior has Chassis only
- Not original paintwork
- Partially brassed out

This conversion will remain a lamp.

First steps were to disassemble and remove the older electrical cord. Fabric covered electrical cord was purchased as it is a more sympathetic match.

As a couple of areas were already brassed out these were polished and a matching receiver shell (likely brassed out 40 years ago during the 1980's fashion to turn these into 'shinies'), was added. Never thought that would find its way back onto a phone, but it will match in nicely.

The original receiver on this phone was complete with internals and will be used on another restoration project.

...more to follow.

FABphones

Work has been completed on the second remaining Phone-Lamp. Still a lamp but a few parts have been changed out in order to save other models; the interior leaves were donated to the first of these two phones. The complete receiver and dial blank have gone into the spares bins as doner parts.

The old electrical cords were removed and trashed. It has received a complete rewire - new fabric covered electric cable, and the correct twisted pair cord from the spares bin for the receiver.

Presentation of this received some funny looks. Fair to say the response generally was they can see the work which has gone into it, but no, better a phone than a lamp. I think I've got everyone trained to appreciate a phone for it's original beauty of design :D.

The swapped out parts were unlikely to have seen a phone again due to their poor state. This way they are back on a phone as originally intended, albeit for display. The endcap on the receiver is a reproduction. No phones were harmed in the reconstruction of this lamp.

If every phone den needs a phone-lamp, this is mine.

FABphones

Side by side before and after images.