News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What did I buy? Package on the way

Started by allnumbedup, June 30, 2022, 09:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allnumbedup

I jumped on buying (maybe too fast) three lots on Etsy the seller labeled as "Vintage Enamel Phone Dials" and "from 1960's"  These are considered shabby chic I believe. At first glance I thought I found some notchless WE dials..... then turned my head right and left a lot looking at the pictures and convinced myself these were AE. I did some research on the forum while I had them in my cart and more after purchase but still don't know what I bought and don't yet know the diameters of these plates:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?msg=70404
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?msg=182876

I could not find as much info on which AE dials use notchless porcelain dial plates and which need notches but my sole#23 is notchless and my #24's all have notches.

One lot (not pictured) are 5 unused-looking loose notched rural plates that look like they would fit dials found on AE34's and AE40's.  The other two lots (pictured below) are notchless.  They look to have 3 pin tabs and are attached to steel or zinc back fittings.  I don't know what dial part the fittings would be. One looks to have two dial plates stacked on the back fitting. My working hypothesis is that these are AE dial plates for pre #24 dials that have been repurposed or had their dials pulled apart. I think the "Z/operator" ones would be after the 1920's-1930's though.  So maybe there are later AE dials without notched finger wheels, or these are North or Kellogg plates, or they are foreign (British), or reproductions. I got 12 or 13 plates with my $112 investment including shipping so it would be good if they are not reprodutions. Back pictures and measurements to follow when I get the plates in my hands.

Analog Phones for a Digital World

rdelius

They are not AE  .Poss North

HowardPgh

This post has a picture of the NORTH dial with the fingerwheel off. The notch on the inner rim by 0 is where the fingerstop goes. http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25331.msg249360#msg249360
Howard

allnumbedup

There you go and thank you....so the dial is notchless because the fingerstop floats above it with the metal back piece as exactly as described in the post on the North Dial. Not a very common dial. I guess I have a lifetime supply :) .

HarrySmith

I guess if I ever need a number ring for a North dial I know who to ask ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: allnumbedup on June 30, 2022, 09:46:53 AM...still don't know what I bought...
These look like North dial faces.  AE has the O for operator at the 6:00 position.  North had the O at the 5:30 position like these.

Mike

allnumbedup

Here is the other lot with notches that led me to think they were all AE. The printing on these is sharp but saving the picture from the web listing make the numbers look wiggly.

rdelius

those AE plates are not usefull. they are for non delayed impulse dials. the numbers will not line up with a standard finger stop

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

allnumbedup

Oh well, I didn't see em on ebay.  Maybe I will breakout the hot glue gun, bedazzle something with them--like maybe a shade for a lamp phone---and resell them on Etsy.  Too bad so sad.

TelePlay

Quote from: allnumbedup on June 30, 2022, 09:06:40 PMMaybe I will breakout the hot glue gun, bedazzle something with them--like maybe a shade for a lamp phone---and resell them . . .

Here's a labor intensive idea.

If it can be absolutely determined that they have no use, clean up a couple, mount them in clear resin blocks, put 4 small green stick on felt pads on the bottom and sell them as "paperweights for the phone collector that has everything."

RDPipes

Quote from: rdelius on June 30, 2022, 05:13:13 PMthose AE plates are not usefull. they are for non delayed impulse dials. the numbers will not line up with a standard finger stop

Would you mind elaborating on that, never heard of a Non delayed impulse dial or even know what it would be used on.

rdelius

some dials have contacts or shunts on the impulse contacts On AE dials when you dial 1,the contacts would dial 2 but the contacts are moved away from the impulse cam. The non delayed dial does not do this and the finger stop is moved away from the finger stop. Note AE dials used for remote control systems with 11 holes  are non delayed . The Brithish #10 and other dials such as the Japanese and French AE derived dials  mute 2 pulses. Longer time between dialed digits. I hope this makes sense.

RDPipes

Close enough sir, sounds like I would never need one unless I had a foreign made phone and I'm having enough trouble with American made at the time. LOL!