News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ooma VOIP service

Started by Babybearjs, November 06, 2023, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

does anyone know anything about the Ooma ATA terminals and the service provided? they offer "Free" service, but they still charge for taxes.... anyway, if anyone has the service, I'm interested in knowing more about it and whether or not it will work on a 1A1 key system. I have 3 landlines and if I can invest in Ooma, and save money, I'll do it.... providing it will work.....
John

ka1axy

I've had two Ooma lines for several years.

My Ooma "Telo" box feeds a Panasonic KX-TAW848 just fine. Your option is only a standard CO subscriber loop. No trunk capability (though they do have a "business" offering...don't know anything about that) on this box. One line per Telo, and the box itself is around $70 from Amazon.

I'm currently paying around $6/mo for their basic service, which includes voice mail and "unlimited" US calling. Tone dial only and wimpy ringer current (you'll maybe be able to ring a single 500 set). The Panasonic mini-PBX takes care of pulse to tone conversion and real ringer output to my extensions.

Ooma's cheap, but it has been trouble free, basic landline service.

Babybearjs

Thank you. that really helps. I might just invest in a terminal for later, right now I'm running 3 landlines with expansion to a 4th. I will look for a inexpensive unit and go from there, if it works well, I'll expand the system with a second terminal. right now I'm paying $50 for the first line and $30 for each additional line.... after taxes, it come out to be about $150/mo. for everything. but its worth it when you have a roommate and friends who use the phones too.... the 1A1 system I have is really getting a workout.... its nice to have the system.... being able to hold and transfer calls is really nice....
John

ka1axy

Happy to answer any other questions. I'm getting what I expected from Ooma, nothing fancy, and it "just works" (though of course, it does also depend on your ISP's reliability -- I'm using Verizon FIOS)

Babybearjs

I got the unit hooked up on line 4 on my system and it works great. rings the extension its on and dials out with no problem... except for rotary. any idea about getting Ooma to dial out on rotary phones? I'd like to get more documentation about Ooma... I might have to call them this next week.
John

ka1axy

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 16, 2023, 10:12:26 PMI got the unit hooked up on line 4 on my system and it works great. rings the extension its on and dials out with no problem... except for rotary. any idea about getting Ooma to dial out on rotary phones? I'd like to get more documentation about Ooma... I might have to call them this next week.

Ooma doesn't support rotary dial.
My Panasonic system lets me convert from rotary extensions to DTMF out on the CO line (which connects to the Ooma Telo box).

You might be able to add a rotary to tone converter between your 1A1 system and the Ooma Telo...but I haven't tried that. I did get success with the Australian pulse to tone converter (DialGizmo) installed between a rotary phone and the Telo, so theres some hope for that approach.

Babybearjs

well, after getting the second Ooma terminal, I was able to get both units working.... although they screwed me up on the numbers. I had the primary account with 2 phone numbers and then when I activated the second terminal, they moved the second number over, but deleted my primary account.... so, I had to reactivate the first terminal, only to have to pick out a whole new number.... now, after the holiday, I have to call them back up and yell in someone's ear to get the number properly assigned.... I wanted to share the picture of both terminals, but the image is too large for this board....UHG!
John